LSI 9201-8i $76

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Nice find. These are going to fall a bit more in price. When SAS 3 comes out SATA will be left behind so we can still use these for disks

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Nice find. These are going to fall a bit more in price. When SAS 3 comes out SATA will be left behind so we can still use these for disks
It will be a while before we see any decent SAS3/SATA4 SSD's to take advantage of these cards.
Bit like SAS2/SATA3 took a number of years to squeeze out as much as possible out of the standard

Nothing now.
4x new cards listed, check link in 1st post :)

Last edited:

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I wonder why they are so hard to find.

hey why hasn't lsi released sandforce drives yet? seems logical

ColdCanuck

Jul 23, 2013
Halifax NS
So I just bought one of these (9201-8i). Anybody know what it is .

I'm hoping it is a 9211 with IT firmware. Will I be badly disappointed ? I'm sure there will be a home / use for it anyway.

Thanks for the great site and useful information.

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
So I just bought one of these (92901-8i). Anybody know what it is .

I'm hoping it is a 9211 with IT firmware. Will I be badly disappointed ? I'm sure there will be a home / use for it anyway.

Thanks for the great site and useful information.
If it has IR, just flash it with IT

ColdCanuck

Jul 23, 2013
Halifax NS
Thanks. I assumed that it would be flash able if I can get the tools to acknowledge it's existence. I have a small concern that since it is a bastard child (like I can 't turn up much in google) that it may not be supported by LSI's tools ??

What chipset ? A LSI 2008 ??

ColdCanuck

Jul 23, 2013
Halifax NS
On a related note I'm off to order some forward breakout cables. A reason not to buy them from Monoprice. Have people here had back luck or horror stories. I have been happy with the SATA and power cables I have purchased there in the past.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Thanks. I assumed that it would be flash able if I can get the tools to acknowledge it's existence. I have a small concern that since it is a bastard child (like I can 't turn up much in google) that it may not be supported by LSI's tools ??

yes. I think so

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
just remember these are sas controllers, and sas uses a higher voltage differential signal. Sata does not, so what works great for SAS may be marginal for sata. You can query the controller for PHY errors which are pretty much guaranteed to happen when you push out of spec too hard.

ColdCanuck

Jul 23, 2013
Halifax NS
Thanks. Will monitor any reported phy errors and keep the leads short. Likely any disks I use will be SATA II which will help.

Will monitor the eye patterns with our high speed stuff at my (former) work.

Will let people know how it goes.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
It's a standard LSISAS2008 card. Just pretend that it's a 9211-8i from a driver, BIOS, and firmware perspective.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Pure FUD for regular use

just remember these are sas controllers, and sas uses a higher voltage differential signal. Sata does not, so what works great for SAS may be marginal for sata. You can query the controller for PHY errors which are pretty much guaranteed to happen when you push out of spec too hard.
Non issue if you keep everything a sane length aka inside the same case, only a consideration if you need to connect to an expansion chassis.

Then you use an expander, problem solved.

trixpan

Feb 16, 2014
I bought sixteen of these from this vendor. I ended up switching to mezzanine cards instead, and sold the 9201s for about $112 each. In other words: 1) Good vendor 2) Good price!
Do you mind sharing the name of the seller? Was it by any chance computersell11?