lot of Juniper equipment

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Firmware update probably requires a service contract similar to Cisco but I can't speak from experience. It's just something I would expect.

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
These are pretty old; they're around the limit of how old Juniper will support with new OS builds, I think. They're still spitting out security updates (for now), but they're 2 or 3 major versions behind the SRX models that replaced them, and *those* are a couple releases behind the newest SRX models.

Reactions: T_Minus

Awesomesauce

Apr 20, 2016
These are pretty old; they're around the limit of how old Juniper will support with new OS builds, I think. They're still spitting out security updates (for now), but they're 2 or 3 major versions behind the SRX models that replaced them, and *those* are a couple releases behind the newest SRX models.

Thanks,

After some research i decide not touching enterprise firewall. 1) the not so old one is still hella expensive 2) due to licensing, firmware or any update is questionable which is crucial because of security risk.

Back to pfsense :)

Ditrone

May 4, 2016
They're stil potent devices for just testing and experimenting with junOS. If you can get them cheap enough, 10 bucks each or 150 for the lot is probably the sweet spot. Hell, dependent on how expensive shipping to Europe is I might even want to buy 3 off the person who gets it

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
As an educational lab device, they're probably fine. I still wouldn't buy them, though--vSRX is ~free for evaluation, much more current, and you can spin up a bunch of them in VMs.