Long Generic Test Fail (Seatools), can it be fixed by "fix all long?"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
I have LBA errors after performing Long Generic Test on my 8 TB Exos I bought from Ebay. But is says passed. I did a "Fix All Long," and it finished. I did another Long Generic Test, and no more LBA errors were found/ reported. Does this mean it's as good as new? Or was it just masked?

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
By "fixing" the failures the write is remapping the bad sectors to spares. Assuming when you write the same area you don't get more failed sectors the problem should be taken care of.

I'd run your own burn in test with badblocks. Do the default "destructive" write/read test, which does several full passes of the media. This will take several days to complete, but should give you a bit more confidence in the drive if it passes.

Note, dump your smart counters before and after the badblocks test. Note any increases in pending/reallocated counts. If you see a lot of bad sectors being remapped, its probably a bad drive.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
@ajs , Thanks. What utility do I use to do the default "destructive write/ read test? I use Unraid, and I can use a preclear script, if you are familiar with it. I got that running, it's my 2nd day, with 2 passes.