Local Mail aggregator

Discussion in 'Software Stuff' started by Rand__, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:05 PM.

1. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Hey,

I am quite annoyed by limited amount of space and features on the various webmailers I use.
    I also don't want to install mail clients on all the client systems I regularly use, so I am looking for a mail aggregator that I can dump in a VM that will take care of the space problem and crappy searches.

I don't need it to send mails itself, just forward to the appropriate mail server or even one way (down) only.

Webinterface is a must so I can use it from anywhere (via VPN on the go).
    Multiple local users is a benefit (and o/c multiple mail accounts per user).

Is there something like that or is this a stuoid idea and I should go full mail server or just give up and install IMAP clients everywhere?

2. vudu

vudu Member

Hi Rand,

Would ISPConfig fit the bill? Seems very configurable.

3. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Hi,
    hm that looks more like something to manage a bunch of mail servers (or other application server), kind of like a multi host capable webmin.

At this point I was only looking for mail, but thanks for the help.

Probably I could simply set up a mail server and don't use the mail sending capability but just the get and relay functionality

4. amalurk

amalurk Active Member

If you are going to run a mail server, I like iredmail. I have used the free version for several years after using qmail toaster for years before that. (For iredmail, I think I had to edit the config db to make a catch all user but everything else I configured through GUI, users, domains etc..) I don't use it to send email. Instead, I pay $5/mo for rollernet.us that acts as a backup mx if my connection goes down and allows me to send from my domains. (It also will proxy and redirect mail to a port other 25 for incoming if your ISP blocks 25). I have done this in some form off a home connection since 2004 when I first registered a personal domain. The only time the wife has complained about the email is when the internet has been down but then there we bigger problems, no internet.....

5. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Looks interesting, thanks @amalurk
    Makes me wonder if I can split connect the clients to send via official server and read via local one, or if I'd have to connect to local only and then configure that one to proxy only and send via gmail & co.