Local Mail aggregator

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hey,

I am quite annoyed by limited amount of space and features on the various webmailers I use.
I also don't want to install mail clients on all the client systems I regularly use, so I am looking for a mail aggregator that I can dump in a VM that will take care of the space problem and crappy searches.

I don't need it to send mails itself, just forward to the appropriate mail server or even one way (down) only.

Webinterface is a must so I can use it from anywhere (via VPN on the go).
Multiple local users is a benefit (and o/c multiple mail accounts per user).

Is there something like that or is this a stuoid idea and I should go full mail server or just give up and install IMAP clients everywhere?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hi,
hm that looks more like something to manage a bunch of mail servers (or other application server), kind of like a multi host capable webmin.

At this point I was only looking for mail, but thanks for the help.

Probably I could simply set up a mail server and don't use the mail sending capability but just the get and relay functionality

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
If you are going to run a mail server, I like iredmail. I have used the free version for several years after using qmail toaster for years before that. (For iredmail, I think I had to edit the config db to make a catch all user but everything else I configured through GUI, users, domains etc..) I don't use it to send email. Instead, I pay $5/mo for rollernet.us that acts as a backup mx if my connection goes down and allows me to send from my domains. (It also will proxy and redirect mail to a port other 25 for incoming if your ISP blocks 25). I have done this in some form off a home connection since 2004 when I first registered a personal domain. The only time the wife has complained about the email is when the internet has been down but then there we bigger problems, no internet.....

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Looks interesting, thanks @amalurk
Makes me wonder if I can split connect the clients to send via official server and read via local one, or if I'd have to connect to local only and then configure that one to proxy only and send via gmail & co.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Looks interesting, thanks @amalurk
Makes me wonder if I can split connect the clients to send via official server and read via local one, or if I'd have to connect to local only and then configure that one to proxy only and send via gmail & co.
Yes that is what I do if I am understanding what you want to do correctly. Most clients allow separate incoming and outgoing server configs. My desktop client (Thunderbird currently), retrieves email from local VM and sends outgoing mail through roller net servers. My android phone and wife's iPhone do the same thing, get email from local VM but over cellular Internet with port forwards (Comcast connection with ddns client) and send outgoing mail through roller net servers. (Phones set not to remove email from the server so the desktop client can get same emails and then desktop client is set to remove from server only after 2 or 4 weeks so it is also there for phones.) Desktop mail files are part of local PC backups and then included in offsite backups.

Rollernet servers accept/proxy the mail and delivery on alternate port since Comcast blocks 25 on residential connections. Had business DSL in past and didn't do that but now with Comcast (only choice) for about 3 years. I haven't had any problem except short delays in queued mail if Comcast goes down. (Rollernet allows you to force queue retry earlier in dashboard if impatient)

Sounds complicated now that I typed it all out but since I only seem to touch it every couple of years, it isn't a big deal. Also advantage of proxy setup with delivery on alternate port required with residential Comcast is no email bounces if home internet goes down versus direct delivery. Rollernet spam prevent is very good too. Every once in a while I have to whitelist because it is too good but not that often. Once or twice a year wife complains she didn't get an email from some random ecomm site that probably doesn't even have SPF set up.

I believe it is also possible to configure some local email servers like sendmail to proxy and relay/send out through rollernet type server with user/pass auth that is required but I didn't try that.