LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I read for some hours through many threads in many forums... obviously I have not saved all the links. Therefore, I leave it to you to search for it :)
I was referring to
" (maybe they check the string provided by the processor)."

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Okay... but can you imagine another reason to reject a processor with the same cpuid and even the same stepping?
i think the 14th gen is not rejected. BIOS must be know the names before launch.
or only 12/13th gens are allowed: you must find the strings in the bIOS then.
other reasons can be:
platform bits
too old Intel RC/MRC codes.
TDC/PL4
BIOS supports only 12th gen.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Update with respect to X13SAE BIOS 3.0 (the version with no BMC):

According to SM, BIOS 3.0 supports Raptor Lake refresh, e.g., 14th generation CPUs. However, boards sold today will most likely have version 2.1. Therefore, the question yet unanswered is: Will a 2.1 BIOS boot with a 14th generation CPU?

Since I have access to a 12th (and a 13th) generation CPU, I just tried out. My X13SAE arrived with BIOS 2.1 (the old one), but it booted with no issue with an i9 14000K (14th generation), even showing the right name of the processor. Therefore, I was able to update the BIOS to 3.0 with no need for an older CPU.

This just in case somebody else has this question...
I recall reading an article somewhere (Tom's Hardware IIRC) that also mentioned that a Raptor Lake Refresh worked out of the box with an older BIOS that expected.
Is likely than 14600K and 14900K works because they're pretty much 13600K and 13900K with new names, but 14700K may not due to the unusual core configuration (8P + 12E, unique in its class).

Personally, I have already seen a MSI PRO Z690-A booting a 14900K with Coreboot with just Raptor Lake support. It was a bit unexpected because there are other things like ME version that should have affected, but didn't.

JanR

Nov 5, 2023
you must find the strings in the bIOS then
This is not the case for X13SAE. There are no such strings - but it accepts 14th Gen.

BIOS supports only 12th gen.
This sounds likely... unfortunately, I have not saved the link to that report.

Nevertheless, the important information is: X13SAE with BIOS 2.1 boots with i9 14900K.

but 14700K may not due to the unusual core configuration (8P + 12E, unique in its class).
That would also be possible... maybe somebody tries that.

jpiszcz

Sep 14, 2013
Just went with the Asus Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI with the 14th gen i9-14900k, initially the system wouldn't boot but used the BIOS recovery option to update to the latest BIOS and it worked!

Method 2: Please confirm whether your motherboard support USB BIOS FlashBack. If support, you can use USB BIOS FlashBack to update BIOS under the shutdown status

This was the video I followed that worked, incase this can help out anyone else.

As far IPMI goes, I was planning on using it for some home/testing purposes as I have IPMI on all my previous supermicro boards, but having issues with the system POST'ing with the IPMI installed + all of the IPMI cables plugged in.

Aside from the IPMI issue which is not a requirement for me, just a nice to have, the Asus Pro WS W680-ACE hit it out of the park feature wise, I'll probably just go without IPMI for now.

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
Just went with the Asus Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI with the 14th gen i9-14900k, initially the system wouldn't boot but used the BIOS recovery option to update to the latest BIOS and it worked!

Method 2: Please confirm whether your motherboard support USB BIOS FlashBack. If support, you can use USB BIOS FlashBack to update BIOS under the shutdown status

This was the video I followed that worked, incase this can help out anyone else.

As far IPMI goes, I was planning on using it for some home/testing purposes as I have IPMI on all my previous supermicro boards, but having issues with the system POST'ing with the IPMI installed + all of the IPMI cables plugged in.

Aside from the IPMI issue which is not a requirement for me, just a nice to have, the Asus Pro WS W680-ACE hit it out of the park feature wise, I'll probably just go without IPMI for now.
I ordered a non-IPMI version and I'm going to do a PiKVM. I'm excited to try this all out.

Reactions: jpiszcz

jpiszcz

Sep 14, 2013

I was able to get the IPMI card working by following these posts here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/17samnb and here
https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/180lm21
Tip: After you update the firmware on the IPMI card, appears there is a bug, it says you cannot login because a F/W upgrade is in-progress. I checked 8 hours later and it said it was still in progress. I have read it can take up to 20-30 minutes but no way should it take 8+ hours, after a power cycle (of the PSU) it came up and I was able to login again.

Screenshot 2023-12-16 033556.png

Reactions: custom90gt

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Has anyone seen an affordable Micro ATX LGA1700 board yet?

I want to upgrade from my X470D4U, and am hoping prices drop a little

kevin645

Jan 12, 2024
I got X13SAE-F, with the 14th gen i9 14900k, kingston KSM48E40BD8KM 64 GB ECC. Currently, the system isn't posting. I get a few beeps no other major errors from the speaker. I get no video output. I feel I might need to get a 12th or 13th gen chip to reflash the bios to 3.1? Any ideas?

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
I got X13SAE-F, with the 14th gen i9 14900k, kingston KSM48E40BD8KM 64 GB ECC. Currently, the system isn't posting. I get a few beeps no other major errors from the speaker. I get no video output. I feel I might need to get a 12th or 13th gen chip to reflash the bios to 3.1? Any ideas?
Can’t you update the board thru the IPMI?

JanR

Nov 5, 2023
Do you know the BIOS version of that board? At least for 2.1 and the board version with no IPMI (X13SAE) I was able to boot with an i9 14900K.

Also, keep in mind that the X13SAE-F needs a long time from power on to video (beeping a few times even with no error).

kevin645

Jan 12, 2024
Ended up getting proxmox VE finally installed through IPMI. Still no video out even after explicitly going and enabling igpu in the bios. Everything registered fine now. Will figure out the igpu issue sooner or later. My PSU power cycles on resets which means it is likely needing to be replaced too.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
The way I would solve the conondrum with using both iGPU and IPMI video at the same time is as follows:
Get a monitor with VGA input if you don't already have one.
Connect both IPMI VGA and iGPU's HDMI/DP to the same monitor.
Keep IPMI VGA as primary graphics output in BIOS.

In OS, set iGPU as primary display and mirror to IPMI display.

Now you can still enter BIOS from via IPMI's IKVM feature and you can see POST/interact with BIOS locally by switching to VGA input of monitor.
Typically you don't want to remote control a graphical OS over IKVM because it is awfully slow and use something like RDP/VNC instead. But for boot maintenance / Linux virtual console it is fine.

Reactions: Vidmo

kevin645

Jan 12, 2024
Alright I ended up swapping through several different cables. I ended up getting hdmi output working. One thing I did notice was that the video output would be frozen and the IPMI's KVM would take over for my shell running.

I think that's good enough and that I eventually got LSPCI to show both VGA controllers in the console. That should be sufficient enough that I should be able to manage the the server over IKVM and my proxmox IP address web interface. I should be able to pass the iGPU as an passthrough to one of my VMs now. As long as I am able to access both servers over IP address now I think I am good.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Good morning. Is anyone using the Noctua NH-D12L, Low-Height Dual-Tower CPU Cooler with the 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K on the X13SAE-F?

If so are you seeing the fan IPMI-2002 lower critical errors (example below)? I'm wondering if there is a low, medium, or high value I should be setting but not sure how that would be set or if it is. Or if I have a issue with the fan. I'm wondering if the RPM of the fan and setting is the issue. I am not sure if if the error is valid and I should be concerned or ignore it. In either case it is there and happening enough that I should address it.

Thanks.

Error example:
2024-02-28 11:55:08 Fan [IPMI-2002] CPU_FAN1, Lower Critical - going low - Assertion Threshold
2024-02-28 11:54:47 Fan [IPMI-2002] CPU_FAN1, Lower Critical - going low - Deassertion Threshold