Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ibor88

Mar 22, 2024
If you flash the OEM bios, it should get the original logo back
I flashed the official Lenovo BIOS and reset to default, but still couldn't see either the Lenovo logo or our company logo.

Could you tell me the exact steps you took to get the original back?

Also, any clue how to insert our company logo? Nothing seems to work now.

evil_santa

Apr 16, 2023
Also, any clue how to insert our company logo? Nothing seems to work now.
Check Lenovo bios update site and download "BIOS Update (USB Drive Package)" ther is a readme in it whit the process for logo update.

@kayson
Got the fastener from a xianyu listening a while ago. But yes it's hard to get them for a reasonable price.

kayson

Apr 21, 2021
Check Lenovo bios update site and download "BIOS Update (USB Drive Package)" ther is a readme in it whit the process for logo update.

@kayson
Got the fastener from a xianyu listening a while ago. But yes it's hard to get them for a reasonable price.
Thanks. I think I'll have an easier time printing one myself than searching xianyu :D

I did try following that readme once, and it worked, but my logo still didn't show up. I suspect it's because of a format/resolution/file size issue, but haven't been able to find any info on exactly works. Except for the filesize limit listed in the readme, but that's post-compression, and it doesn't tell you how to figure out what that size will be...

ibor88

Mar 22, 2024
I did try following that readme once, and it worked, but my logo still didn't show up. I suspect it's because of a format/resolution/file size issue, but haven't been able to find any info on exactly works. Except for the filesize limit listed in the readme, but that's post-compression, and it doesn't tell you how to figure out what that size will be...
Our company logo, which worked before the last updates, no longer work. We need a tutorial for how to get our logo to work and/or recover the Lenovo logo.

Last edited:

senso

Jul 17, 2022
The latest bios update is due to a bug in the bootlogo parser.. Use the new tool to set the logo, and respect the max size of the file.

EDIT:
And if anyone ever wants to know, I have upgraded my M720Q from its original i5-8500T to an i7-9700 (not T, 65W desktop model), using the stock aluminium cooler and the 65W PSU. It works fine, just set the governor to conservative so the CPU idles at 800Mhz, and the temps haven't gone above 50ºC (I'm running thermagic ZF-EX paste).

Before setting the governor it was always running above 4Ghz and hitting around 75ºC.

Will order the cooper heatsink and a 135W PSU next month and see how it performs.

So far, all the web interfaces for what I'm running (OMV, jellyfin, pihole, qbittorrent, proxmox) load faster, and feel snappier compared to the T CPU, the extra Ghz are well noted.

Last edited:
Reactions: evil_santa

Seraph

Jan 28, 2023
Awesome thread, thanks everyone for sharing all this great information!

I'm about to upgrade my Lenovo M720q/M920q to 10GbE with Mellanox ConnectX-4 LX cards and DAC. Unfortunately, as I already expected, the temps are way too high (around 85 degrees and it's not even summer yet).

Looks like there are various proposed solutions in this thread:

- P330 vented cover 02CW662 (50-60 Euro) + 40x40x10mm Noctua fan (USB powered)
- 120mm Noctua fan powered via USB in front of the nodes
- Put the nodes in another ITX case (e.g., Sharkoon QB One) with a big fan in front of them.
- 4010 blower fan directly on the card
- Trendnet TEG-10GECSFP (only one port and a bit expensive but runs super cool)

What is the most efficient one temperature-wise? I guess the vented cover with the fan. Unfortunately, I can't find the cover for cheap, and therefore I'm unsure about putting a fan with the original case on the card or just buying a bigger USB-powered fan in front of the nodes...any thoughts?

Last edited:

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
I'm about to upgrade my Lenovo M720q/M920q to 10GbE with Mellanox ConnectX-4 LX cards and DAC. Unfortunately, as I already expected, the temps are way too high (around 85 degrees and it's not even summer yet).
Is that the CPU temperature? If so that sounds way too hot to start with. I get ~60C with six Tinys stacked like books about 1cm apart and 5mm top clearance in the top shelf of an IKEA Besta media cabinet with a closed door; they all have 10GbE cards and DACs and there's just one Arctic 140mm TC fan at the back of the shelf blowing air out. Maybe try changing the thermal paste on the CPU.

If that's the card temperature, though, nothing to worry about - they're good to temperatures well beyond that.

Seraph

Jan 28, 2023
Is that the CPU temperature? If so that sounds way too hot to start with. I get ~60C with six Tinys stacked like books about 1cm apart and 5mm top clearance in the top shelf of an IKEA Besta media cabinet with a closed door; they all have 10GbE cards and DACs and there's just one Arctic 140mm TC fan at the back of the shelf blowing air out. Maybe try changing the thermal paste on the CPU.

If that's the card temperature, though, nothing to worry about - they're good to temperatures well beyond that.
it's the card temperature, the cpu is around 42C. The specifications say 0-55C operational and over 70C non operational so I was a bit worried.

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
it's the card temperature, the cpu is around 42C. The specifications say 0-55C operational and over 70C non operational so I was a bit worried.
Those are the environmental temperatures, in other words the ambient temperature around the card - ie, don't keep it in a fridge, don't run it in the middle of the desert in summer, don't store it in a (relatively cool) oven.

The maximum operating temperature for the chip is 105C, so you're doing great. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: Raice and Seraph

bbchucks

Nov 2, 2023
recently snagged a m920q with PCIe, picked up a riser but need a 2.5g nic - either 1 port or 2port should suffice. Can anyone recommend one that will fit? Thanks!

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
recently snagged a m920q with PCIe, picked up a riser but need a 2.5g nic - either 1 port or 2port should suffice. Can anyone recommend one that will fit? Thanks!
I'm not currently aware of any that *don't* fit, let's put it that way. Event the four x 2.5GbE cards.

As a note, if you're not running ESXi you may as well pick up an Realtek chipset card - they're arguably more reliable at 2.5GbE than Intel's (many) attempts. For ESXi obviously Intel will be easier to work with.

If in doubt, the first post tells you the maximum supported card length, and make sure it's half height (nearly all are).

bbchucks

Nov 2, 2023
I'm not currently aware of any that *don't* fit, let's put it that way. Event the four x 2.5GbE cards.

As a note, if you're not running ESXi you may as well pick up an Realtek chipset card - they're arguably more reliable at 2.5GbE than Intel's (many) attempts. For ESXi obviously Intel will be easier to work with.

If in doubt, the first post tells you the maximum supported card length, and make sure it's half height (nearly all are).
I'll be using it with opnsense, will this work - Syba Dual 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet PCI-E Network Expansion Card RJ45 LAN Adapter Low Profile Bracket SD-PEX24066 ?

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
I'll be using it with opnsense, will this work - Syba Dual 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet PCI-E Network Expansion Card RJ45 LAN Adapter Low Profile Bracket SD-PEX24066 ?
Don't see why not. If you intend to use multiple VLANs a four port card might come in useful, but two port is fine too and you can use the onboard NIC for management.