Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Thaliya

Feb 19, 2024
nice, share me your experience with the delidding, Thaliya. I also have M720q and wanna install i7-8700
Did you just replace the thermal paste between die and heat spreader? And what did you use? Liquid Metal?
I only replaced the thermal paste between die and heat spreader with liquid metal.
Full-Speed Fan is a lot louder and does cool more than the other options, i dont know if this is a bug in Bios but with the other options temp will be 90-91°C @3,8-3,9Ghz but fan is pretty silent.

If your CPU will be under load most of the time then Fan to Full Speed could help with throttling

replacing the thermal paste is easy, but I doubt it would make that big difference
It made about 15°C difference - but will depend on the CPU you get and the thermal paste on it.

Reactions: truongnht

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
also... I see people putting 10gb nics in the tiny... but what about the m90q gen 3 where it has the thunderbolt 3/4 port...
wouldnt this work just fine?
USB-C® to Ethernet Network Adapter Converter | USB-C Adapters & Converters | USB | Adapters, Docks & Hubs (cablestogo.com)

I am contemplating it so I can keep my quadro k620, that also needs upgrading, but also gain 10gbe as well...
This is just a Gigabit adapter no?

Sonnet has a 10 Gbit one: Solo10G (10GBASE-T 10Gb Ethernet Thunderbolt Adapter) - SONNETTECH but it is a little bit more expensive.

Reactions: TeleFragger

jackfrost

Apr 18, 2019
In the PCIe Bandwidth section the quoted post says M90q G1 is limited to x4 PCH lanes. However, in the table only G3 was marked. Can we clear the situation?
I'm consider getting a M90q G3 because of it's pcie 4.0 slot to use with a (modded) a2000.

However, I'm still trying to determine if the G3 is also limited to the x4 PCH lanes... can anyone with a G3 confirm or deny that the pcie slot is wired to the PCH on the G3?

Maybe using (although this requires lenovo to set the description properly I think):

Code:
dmidecode --type 9 | egrep "Usage|Type|Designation"
On windows you can (probably?) tell if it's connected to the PCH or the CPU by using device manager and setting view to devices by connection...

Then expand the ACPI sections, and look for the device plugged into the pcie slot... it should either be under a chipset pcie "root port" or an "intel pcie controller."

Maybe. Who knows if this is standard or not, or if there are edge cases... lol.

I've attached a picture showing the wifi module connected to the PCH and a tesla p4 connected to the CPU on an M720q to illustrate:

1709901901073.png

Thanks

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
I'm consider getting a M90q G3 because of it's pcie 4.0 slot to use with a (modded) a2000.

However, I'm still trying to determine if the G3 is also limited to the x4 PCH lanes... can anyone with a G3 confirm or deny that the pcie slot is wired to the PCH on the G3?

Maybe using (although this requires lenovo to set the description properly I think):

Code:
dmidecode --type 9 | egrep "Usage|Type|Designation"
On windows you can (probably?) tell if it's connected to the PCH or the CPU by using device manager and setting view to devices by connection...

Then expand the ACPI sections, and look for the device plugged into the pcie slot... it should either be under a chipset pcie "root port" or an "intel pcie controller."

Maybe. Who knows if this is standard or not, or if there are edge cases... lol.

I've attached a picture showing the wifi module connected to the PCH and a tesla p4 connected to the CPU on an M720q to illustrate:

View attachment 35233

Thanks
Here is what I have on an m90q gen 3 with add in card and an nvidia quado k620

1709908705604.png

Last edited:
Reactions: jackfrost

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
I have an M90q gen 3 so "Tiny8" and running a quadro k620.
I am running VLC Media Player (not sure why hdhomerun x7 stopped working) and maxing out the card.
Since the space is limited, trying to see if there is a better card to run that will fit.

I mean, cmon, watch 7 tv channels at once? during football, yes....

plan on hooking up to a projector on 240" screen (already do this on my neighbors blow up screen and it is awesome on one football game)
but the plans are to watch a major football game large, then a subset that I can get on smaller screens for a visual of what is going on...

so I am cranked at 100% GPU usage but it does work so I just need something with a LIL more kick... heck dont have to be a quadro, if something else fits the performance bill... on benchmark site it is listed at 2239 where Radeon RX 550x comes in at 2254 and struggles to get 3 cable and 3 OTA... quadro k620 is handling 4 OTA and 3 cable.... barely, but is... lol

View attachment 35179
Just found a quadro k1200, so will throw this in but I need to find a micro dp to hdmi cord...
should perform better than the k620.

jackfrost

Apr 18, 2019

jackfrost

Apr 18, 2019

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
Last edited:

connaisseur

Jun 10, 2020
Munich, Germany
Here's an upgrade (path?) question of a TinyMiniMicro-Freshman:

Purchased one M920x (M10S2-S04E00) with an Pentium Gold G5400 w/ a Copper Cooler off eBay. Wanted to plug in an i5-9500T CPU.

This resulted in Beep codes (3 Short and 1 Long Beep). Exchanged this CPU with a spare i3-8100 -> this combination does start.

BIOS is M1UKT75A, 2024-01-26

Any change to get this started with an i5-9500T?

Or what might be a better i5 CPU option?

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
[
Here's an upgrade (path?) question of a TinyMiniMicro-Freshman:

Purchased one M920x (M10S2-S04E00) with an Pentium Gold G5400 w/ a Copper Cooler off eBay. Wanted to plug in an i5-9500T CPU.

This resulted in Beep codes (3 Short and 1 Long Beep). Exchanged this CPU with a spare i3-8100 -> this combination does start.

BIOS is M1UKT75A, 2024-01-26

Any change to get this started with an i5-9500T?

Or what might be a better i5 CPU option?
The 9500T should work, it is listed in the spec sheet. Are you sure the CPU you bought actually works?

jpe230

Mar 14, 2024
I'm building a sleeper build using a M720q, originally it had an 8100T. I already installed an i9 9900k and 64GB of RAM as well as beefier PSU and the copper cooler.

I'm looking for a GPU, mainly for transcoding and HDMI 2.x and a little bit of lightweight gaming, my main option is the Intel Arc A310, primarily for its price. But I have a couple of questions that I can't find answer for:

Does the BIOS/UEFI allow Resizable Bar? If not, will "ReBarUEFI" work?
Is there a mod to relocate the HDD once the GPU is installed?

And bonus question:
Is there a way to control/change the fan curve under Windows?

I'll appreciate your answers! Thanks!

wociscz

Feb 25, 2024
EDIT: Sorry wrong thread, I'll keep it there as well.
Just "mod" post
After couple days of testing different m.2 adapters, network cards and other stuff, finished my first tiny proxmox host node.
HP Elitedesk 800 G3 (i5 7500, 16GB ram, 256GB nvme) with m.2 a/e realtek 8125 2.5gbit network card /w 3d printed bracket (replaces detachable displayport mini card).

It works flawlessly. Original gigabit nic used for kvm/vPro only.
1710545847797.png
1710545883944.png
Google photo gallery
Bracket is my work - will post it somewhere (with update of this post with a link), ping me if you need it sooner.

Aliexpress links: variant1 variant2

Last edited:
Reactions: blakwolf