Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduardoamparos

Dec 26, 2023
Just in case you missed it, there is also the option of soldering just 2 resistors onto your M920q motherboard and then using a "PH45" dual M.2 adapter via the PCIe x8 slot:

Badger707 GitHub issue #1 - [PH45 card] is working perfectly

I have done this on an M920q using only a standard soldering iron with a fine tip and a magnifying glass.
Double-checked my soldering using a cheap $20 USB 2.0 'microscope'.

It works for me using two M.2 NVMe drives installed onto a PH45 card BUT does not seem work if using any other M.2 device, e.g. USB host.
PCI proof attached - note there was no drive installed in underside M.2 socket, only the two in the PH45 card.

The hardest part was keeping the tiny resistor in the right place until the first solder joint holds it down.
Would recommend copper desoldering wick to remove existing solder from PCB and to help desolder resistors if you go wrong or change your mind.
Optional extras would be eye-drops and two types of alcohol: isopropyl for cleaning the PCB and ethanol-based drink for steadying your hands before and celebrating after. (Not actual advice)

Hey, thanks but honestly, for my use case, I m more interested into the under second M.2 slot.

Because I am already using the PCIE 8x slot for a 10gb nic.

Thanks again

eduardoamparos

Dec 26, 2023
I bought a ConnectX-4 LX (MCX4121A-ACAT) to upgrade my ConnectX-3, mostly for ASPM support, and my P340 Tiny won't boot with it at all, even with DAC disconnected. I have a 135W power adapter. Any idea what's happening here? Should it work and thus my card is faulty or what?

EDIT: covering SMBIOS pins doesn't help.
EDIT: neither does PRSNT PIN connecting hack
Hey, there are some comments in the link below about the possible culprit for this card to NOT work.

1. The power supply adapter. It is suggested that a 135 watt PSU is needed. However I tried and for me it didn't work.

2. The PCIE riser. I have only one riser therefore I have not tried others.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Nov 17, 2023
I picked up a USB-C to Display Port cable that Lenovo says it supports for the m720q tiny.

I cannot get it to work. Hardware manager shows its connected but the USB port 'Port Reset Failed'.

No option to enable video output on settings.

What am i missing here? all drivers latest, bios etc.

Specs for m720q tiny confirm it supports the USB-C to Display port @ 4k 60hz. So this should work out of the box.

Pulling my hair out as i really need 2 monitors at 60hz.

Can any one advise?

evil_santa

Apr 16, 2023
I picked up a USB-C to Display Port cable that Lenovo says it supports for the m720q tiny.

I cannot get it to work. Hardware manager shows its connected but the USB port 'Port Reset Failed'.

No option to enable video output on settings.

What am i missing here? all drivers latest, bios etc.

Specs for m720q tiny confirm it supports the USB-C to Display port @ 4k 60hz. So this should work out of the box.

Pulling my hair out as i really need 2 monitors at 60hz.

Can any one advise?
Hmm seems the usb-c port can't output display signal.

Nov 17, 2023
Nov 17, 2023
So I have finally setup a m720q tiny to replace an old R210ii, with my ATT fiber line.

I wanted to share this info for anyone who wants to move to a m720q tiny who has 2.5/5/10gb AT&T fiber line.

I have AT&T 2.5gb fiber.

The ATT BWG320 is the fiber modem I have to use, which has a 5GB rj45 port.

I tried to use the SuperMicro AOC-STGN-i2s NIC by I cannot get it to negotiate a 5GB connection.

pfsense recognizes the NIC, but I just cannot get a connection between it and the modem.

i have tried multiple transceivers, and still cannot get it to work.

I Assume the problem is with the x520 chipset negotiating a 5GB connection, with a transceiver - if anyone knows one that works please let me know.

i then tried to fit in my x710-T2L - which is rj45 10/5/2.5 GB.

As I pulled it out I forgot what a LONG boy this is.

so I was initially crest fallen, assuming it would not fit..

upon trying to jam it in the m720q tiny, the only thing blocking it was this thin piece of metal at the front of the chassis, which luckily is secured by one tiny screw, and popped out very easily!

This piece of metal I removed:

After removing this, the i710-t2l FIT like a dream.

I don't have a rear plastic baffle as it appears nobody has done this, but no big deal as the card is so long it rests on the back of the far side front USB ports. It's literally a perfect fit. It's rock solid, doesn't wobble at all, and the case still closes.

Here's a pic of the huge NIC installed:

The case closes up, and it works like a dream!

Bonus over the Super micro AOC-STGN-i2s NIC, is the X710-t2l runs a lot cooler, and has a heatsink twice the size.

Side question, in the above image I highlighted what I think is an antenna in purple. Is it safe to remove that?

It was resting in the metal piece I removed, and is just kinda loose now. It appears to be secured under the WiFi card with a single screw.

Anyway, wanted to share for anyone who wants to move to a m720q tiny who has 2.5/5/10gb AT&T fiber.

Last edited:

Firebug24k

Apr 12, 2017
If you can get yours to route better than roughly 3GB/sec up/down with PFSense/OPNSense let me know - I can't push it past there with my m720q.

demodesto

Jan 7, 2024
So I have finally setup a m720q tiny to replace an old R210ii, with my ATT fiber line.

I wanted to share this info for anyone who wants to move to a m720q tiny who has 2.5/5/10gb AT&T fiber line.
Exactly the setup I was doing some research for. I want to set up a homelab and wanted to get a pfsense router going.
I won't need anything as complicated as a 10Gb card so I'll experiment with something cheaper.
Just wanted to thank you for this post and especially the pictures. My greatest concern was fitting the card into the machine.

truongnht

Oct 25, 2023
@evil_santa, I have setup firewall (opnsense, proxmox, HA...) on the M720q, but due to lack of disks, I could not setup NAS. Thinking of another device for NAS and setup a homelab K3S cluster. Any recommendation for another one (M720q, M920q, M90q...) and why?

dxx-223

Dec 15, 2023
Why does the Lenovo m720q tiny spec sheet list that it does then?

4096x2160@24Hz(onboard HDMI),
4096x2304@60Hz(DP),
2048x1536@50Hz(VGA),
*****4096x2304@60Hz(USB-C)*****

Source: ThinkCentre M720 Tiny - Product Specifications Reference(PSREF) https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sy...ntre_M720_Tiny/ThinkCentre_M720_Tiny_Spec.pdf
Are you using the front USB-C or the rear USB-C socket provided by the DisplayPort to USB-C daughterboard 01AJ950?
Maybe only the latter actually provides an output signal?

Jakob

Apr 8, 2020
Hey, there are some comments in the link below about the possible culprit for this card to NOT work.

1. The power supply adapter. It is suggested that a 135 watt PSU is needed. However I tried and for me it didn't work.

2. The PCIE riser. I have only one riser therefore I have not tried others.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

I'm in the same situation with a P350 Tiny and a CX4121A.
I have a 170W PSU and also tried some things:
- covering SMBus pins
- bridging the x4 or x16 presence detection pin
- hotplugging the card (results in instant turn-off of the system which would indicate some power delivery issue to me)

AlexGee

Aug 3, 2022
@evil_santa, I have setup firewall (opnsense, proxmox, HA...) on the M720q, but due to lack of disks, I could not setup NAS. Thinking of another device for NAS and setup a homelab K3S cluster. Any recommendation for another one (M720q, M920q, M90q...) and why?
I have a "new" M720q here since a few days and I'm able to run it successful with 3 SSDs:
  • SATA SSD
  • NVME PCIe3.0 x4
  • + 1 additional NVME SSD at PCIe3.0 x1 at the "Wifi Slot" with an 2$ A-E to M Key Adapter
I'm even able to boot form the Wifi Slot :)

Jakob

Apr 8, 2020
I'm in the same situation with a P350 Tiny and a CX4121A.
I have a 170W PSU and also tried some things:
- covering SMBus pins
- bridging the x4 or x16 presence detection pin
- hotplugging the card (results in instant turn-off of the system which would indicate some power delivery issue to me)
A few measurements later:
With a CX3 connected, all three Voltages (3V3_Aux, 3V3 and 12V) are present. With the CX4 only 3V3_Aux is at 3.3V. 3V3 is at ~100mV and 12V is at ~500mV.
As the T600 the system came with draws a lot of power on the 12V rail I'd guess that the card is drawing too much power on the 3V3 rail during startup.

Other things I noticed:
- The CX4 does not seem to use the 3V3 rail at all? There is a footprint on the card for a polyfuse on the 3V3 rail that is not populated. The "too much power draw on 3V3 rail" is therefore not the culprit.
- Taping over *all* pins except ground, 3V3, 3V3_Aux and 12V has the same result so definitely a power supply thing.
- Sadly the power supply part of the P350 tiny and M920Q are wildly different and I only have the schematic for the latter so debugging is a bit harder than expected. Seeing that the M920Q apparently has the same issues though the schematic of the M920Q might help. The 12V regulator looks *very* similar. The layout is different but the rough position on the board and the schematic seem to be almost identical.

UPDATE:
I removed the polyfuse on the CX4's 12V line and connected an external 12V supply. This is working fine and the card is detected and works.
The two potential solutions I'm currently thinking of are either to add a DCDC from the DC input's 20V to 12V or to try some kind of filter as I suspect some weird interaction between the DCDC that generates the 12V and the DCDCs on the CX4.

UPDATE2:
It works! The culprit is, that the CX4 has some form of back-flow from the 3V3_Aux supply to the 12V supply (~1.8V) which seems to confuse the DCDC on the P350 Tiny.
Replacing the polyfuse on the 12V line of the CX4 with polyfuse and one of these cheap "ideal diode" boards from Aliexpress makes the card work :D

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: UhClem

truongnht

Oct 25, 2023
I have a "new" M720q here since a few days and I'm able to run it successful with 3 SSDs:
  • SATA SSD
  • NVME PCIe3.0 x4
  • + 1 additional NVME SSD at PCIe3.0 x1 at the "Wifi Slot" with an 2$ A-E to M Key Adapter
I'm even able to boot form the Wifi Slot :)
can you share me the part number, from Aliexpress?