Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduardoamparos

Dec 26, 2023

eduardoamparos

Dec 26, 2023
It seems I have the same problem as @cromo,

I recently was looking for a Mellanox to put inside my Lenovo m920q. While browsing, I found the ConnectX-4 model number MCX4121A-ACAT ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121A.

it seems the same price and newer model while supporting sfp28. Therefore, I got this ConnectX-4 via eBay.

When I tested it in a Supermicro server, the ConnectX-4 functions and works perfectly. Also, It is being recognized by Ubuntu and takes a DHCP lease.

However, when I put it inside the m920q, the Tiny won't boot, it does not post video. Its lights power on, and the CPU fan doesn't start.

So, the m920q doesn't work only when the card is installed.

On the contrary, if I put any other PCIE card in there, it works fine.

For example, the SAS 9207-8e card works fine in there.

I was just wondering @cromo if you have any progress, with yours?

Brainstorming? Is it probably incompatible for any reason? Or is the PCIE version not supported? This card seems to be PCIE 3.0 and x8. It should be supported in this Lenovo. Probably the card is damaged in some way? I don't know.

EDIT: I also tried: PRSNT PIN connecting hack but it did not work.
Anyone here? Have you had any issues putting this MCX4121A-ACAT ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121A inside the Tiny? Any suggestions to help me figure out how to make it work?

Below are the pictures of me testing the ConnectX-4 Lx into the Tiny.

If I can not get any help on the ConnectX-4 Lx, I think I will have to buy a new 10Gb SPF+ PCIe card and forget about this ConnectX-4 Lx.

So, if getting a new one: ------

And for 10Gb SPF+ PCIe Card recommendations, I know the initial post there are some recommendations. however, I have read on Reddit that for any 10Gb Card we have to add fans (active cooling) into the Tiny by drilling the top cover.

I don't want to drill to the top cover for the fan. Is there any recommendation/suggestion for a 10Gb SPF+ card that would be installed inside the Tiny without active cooling?

I have heard this "Intel X710-DA2" does not get hot at all. any experience with this "Intel X710-DA2" getting hot?

@Parallax

I know that edited the initial post and stated:

> "The Mellanox ConnectX-3 CX322A dual SFP+ card has been confirmed working on Reddit without significant effect on the heat."

Does it mean without active cooling? without a fan?

It was mentioned, that @cptcrunch has some great photos below on adding a 2x 10GbE Intel X-520 NIC to an M720q. I have not seen the pictures, but does it mean adding active cooling? or would it work without a fan?

And you who are reading this post right now, thank you very much in advance to you, who can help and give some light to the topic, and thanks for the time to read this post.

Eduardo

Attachments

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
And for 10Gb SPF+ PCIe Card recommendations, I know the initial post there are some recommendations. however, I have read on Reddit that for any 10Gb Card we have to add fans (active cooling) into the Tiny by drilling the top cover.

> "The Mellanox ConnectX-3 CX322A dual SFP+ card has been confirmed working on Reddit without significant effect on the heat."

Does it mean without active cooling? without a fan?
Yeah. I run ConnectX-3 CX322Bs in all my P350 Tinys without active cooling. It's only 2-3C cooler than when I used Supermicro AOC-STGN-I2S V2 cards. I've not tried any other cards myself.

The P350 does have a vented top cover, but you can get this result by buying a suitable top cover as suggested in the first post. Basically there's no airflow over the PCIe card so you can expect 55C temperatures, but that should be fine.

Reactions: eduardoamparos

evil_santa

Apr 16, 2023
Thank you very much!

I have read the GitHub readme file, and it seems simple for someone with the right equipment and experience. I have none of those.

However, it looks fun and looks interesting.

Thank you for sharing.
I can do this mod for Everyone who is interested.
I'm from Germany and I have 2 unmodified m720q here.

evil_santa

Apr 16, 2023
Thank you very much!

I am located a little far from you. I live in Canada.

I currently have 2 of m920q and 1 of m720q.

If I were close to you, that would be a better deal.

but, if anyone is close to Germany, that would be a really good opportunity @evil_santa .
Hmm
I know some console modders in the us and in Canada. You can surely found someone who can mod it for you in this Discord servers.

Nov 17, 2023
Hi guys, so have an m720q up and running, however i didnt realize the HDMI port is limited to 24hz.

Is anyone running this with multiple monitors? what is the best way to achieve this?

I have 2x LG 4k monitors that support 4k 60hz. The one connected to DP is fine, but im not sure the best way to get my 2nd monitor running at 4k 60hz.

According to the m720q specs it supports the follows:

4096x2160@24Hz(onboard HDMI),
4096x2304@60Hz(DP),
2048x1536@50Hz(VGA),
4096x2304@60Hz(USB-C)

Is using the USB-C my only option? i have never used USB-C for display, do i just get a USB-C to HDMI cable?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i would like to run both my displays at 4k 60hz.

dxx-223

Dec 15, 2023
Thank you very much!

I have read the GitHub readme file, and it seems simple for someone with the right equipment and experience. I have none of those.

However, it looks fun and looks interesting.

Thank you for sharing.
Just in case you missed it, there is also the option of soldering just 2 resistors onto your M920q motherboard and then using a "PH45" dual M.2 adapter via the PCIe x8 slot:

Badger707 GitHub issue #1 - [PH45 card] is working perfectly

I have done this on an M920q using only a standard soldering iron with a fine tip and a magnifying glass.
Double-checked my soldering using a cheap $20 USB 2.0 'microscope'.

It works for me using two M.2 NVMe drives installed onto a PH45 card BUT does not seem work if using any other M.2 device, e.g. USB host.
PCI proof attached - note there was no drive installed in underside M.2 socket, only the two in the PH45 card.

The hardest part was keeping the tiny resistor in the right place until the first solder joint holds it down.
Would recommend copper desoldering wick to remove existing solder from PCB and to help desolder resistors if you go wrong or change your mind.
Optional extras would be eye-drops and two types of alcohol: isopropyl for cleaning the PCB and ethanol-based drink for steadying your hands before and celebrating after. (Not actual advice)

Attachments

Reactions: evil_santa

dxx-223

Dec 15, 2023
Hi guys, so have an m720q up and running, however i didnt realize the HDMI port is limited to 24hz.

Is anyone running this with multiple monitors? what is the best way to achieve this?

I have 2x LG 4k monitors that support 4k 60hz. The one connected to DP is fine, but im not sure the best way to get my 2nd monitor running at 4k 60hz.

According to the m720q specs it supports the follows:

4096x2160@24Hz(onboard HDMI),
4096x2304@60Hz(DP),
2048x1536@50Hz(VGA),
4096x2304@60Hz(USB-C)

Is using the USB-C my only option? i have never used USB-C for display, do i just get a USB-C to HDMI cable?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i would like to run both my displays at 4k 60hz.
I can't 100% confirm this but one option might be to fit a 2nd DisplayPort using part 01AJ937, which looks like this:

Lenovo M720q 01AJ937 DP-DP.jpg
In the hope that this too would run 4096x2304@60Hz.

There's also a similar USB-C display daughterboard 01AJ950:
1704230212694.png
Note the display-like symbol printed on the rear backplate / baffle.

I've no idea how you connect USB-C to a monitor though. Maybe it requires a monitor with a USB-C socket also?
Someone else might be able to advise on that.

flame7487

Jul 10, 2022
RE: USB-C with DP signals as USB-C@DP
My M920q has several USB-C but none of them contain a DP signal.
I tried several DP to USB-C conversion cables, but none worked.
A year ago, I fitted an FRU 01AJ939 board (from aliEx) (mounting problem in post #771)
Known as DP to USB-C port punch out card or TYPE-C Expansion port For Lenovo Tiny5
BTW I have not tried: FRU 01AJ950 and FRU SC50R20801.
It converts the DP signal from the Motherboard to an external USB-C@DP socket.
I was able to connect my ThinkVison X1 monitor
exclusively via a 2x USB-C cable with 4096x2304@60Hz (USB-C@DP).
I also have the signal from the camera and the USB hub on the monitor.
The mentioned board is so small that I want to additionally connect next to
a PCIe 3.0 x4 card with an Oculink SFF-8612 slot
(data rate up to 32 GT/s without clock signal or current).
This will allow me to connect additional external:
U.2 drives (in the case)
or an additional graphics card.

flame7487

Jul 10, 2022
RE: Oculink SFF-8612 female socket from PCIe 3.0 ×8 card
You can also connect an external optical NIC (never mind card size or heat)
Oculink SFF-8612 is considered as an alternative or competitor to Thunderbolt
(from a PCIe 3.0 x8 source, transmission faster than ThB 4).
The connector is remarkably like the standard DisplayPort connector (socket 16.10×4.76×8.88mm).
BTW the mDP receptacle has dimensions of 7.50×4.60×4.99mm.
But the SFF-8612 has a socket of 13.4mm and a cable of 1m.

joshuarupp

Oct 28, 2023
Any recommendations for another Dual Port 10G SFP+ NIC for the M90q Gen2, on the VMware HCL? If it was low power, deeper C states, low thermal issues, and didn't require removing the antenna bracket, that would be good. I'm leaning towards the X710-DA2, even though it requires removing the antenna bracket.
I'm running a different model (3 node cluster x m920q), but I am using Supermicro Dual Port SFP+ 10G Ethernet AOC-STGN-I2S and it has been flawless. I'm using VMware ESXi 8.0 Update 2 | 21 SEP 2023 | GA ISO Build 22380479 on the hosts with default drivers and I'm using both SFP+ ports (1 x vmotion/guest; 1 x storage) and they work flawlessly. Not sure if you would have the same luck on yours but thought I would mention it. Side note: the vPro NIC works great with Mesh Central if you want OOBM access. :)

MWolf83

Mar 11, 2023
Hi,
I'm considering buying a used m920q (in my country there is only the i5-8500T option).
Can this model work as a router at home? I have a 1Gbps/300Mbit fiber optic connection.
I'm thinking about using Pfsense/OPNsense on such a "machine". But will the i5-8500T support such a connection? With IPS/IDS/VPN enabled?
I'm also considering one of the Protectla models, but it's a bit expensive.
What do you think?

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
I'm running a different model (3 node cluster x m920q), but I am using Supermicro Dual Port SFP+ 10G Ethernet AOC-STGN-I2S and it has been flawless. I'm using VMware ESXi 8.0 Update 2 | 21 SEP 2023 | GA ISO Build 22380479 on the hosts with default drivers and I'm using both SFP+ ports (1 x vmotion/guest; 1 x storage) and they work flawlessly. Not sure if you would have the same luck on yours but thought I would mention it. Side note: the vPro NIC works great with Mesh Central if you want OOBM access. :)
Rev 1 or 2 of the AOC-STGN-I2S? The latter seems to have a shorter PCB from what I can see and may be lower power.