Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Paper2622

Aug 12, 2023
Help needed! I bought a used m720q on ebay a few days ago which turned on but won’t boot into BIOS and beep 4 times (3 long and 1 short). I have tried 1) booting with/without SSD; 2) booting with one and two stick(a) of ram (both are perfectly fine as they work on other systems); 3) clearing CMOS and 4) re-seating the battery.

semicole

Mar 16, 2023
Are there any recommended multirate PCIE cards to use in the tinys? Looking for a card that can do 1/2.5/5/10gbe that doesn't break the bank.

thimplicity

Jan 11, 2022
Hi everyone,
I found this on reddit (credit to user theusu5000 in this thread):

1693571572428.png

I like the idea of creating a NAS out of a Lenovo minipc. He/She mentioned in his/her thread that you need to solder com wires to the board to supply power to the drives. I also read somewhere online that they would be able to run off a NVMe to SATA adapter if they are SSDs and not HDDs, which I do not think is correct. Reading through the thread here my understanding is that by default (for the newer versions) you have 2 NVMe and one SATA slot (and the W-Fi card slot) on the board that you could use to connect drives, but I also read that there is not enough power delivered by the board to the drives.

Is there a solution to power lets say 6 SSDs from the board without soldering?

Thanks!

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
THats awesome, I'd like to see some picks from the back side and a schematic if possible. The OP may be adding some pics and other notes soon.

Also I have a modded BIOS for M910X that allows for Xeon's too. If anyone wants a copy I'll back it up and share.

HA_tinkerer

Sep 4, 2023
Hi I have a 2nd hand M920q (16GB and i5-8500) and some questions. I want to run pfsense, probably on Proxmox as a lab, I have a router and network already but looking to expand and understand.
1. I have single stick 16gb Samsung ram. I want to add more and wonder how picky is it with ram? Can it run in single channel with another 8gb stick for 24GB?
2. Also, do I need to match the ram exactly. Mine is M471A2K43CB1-CTD There are a lot of variations of this type (batch varies but same timing) available. Do I only need to match timing or be exact with batch etc?
3. I have a 1tb M2 NVME storage ssd on board. I also have a dual 1GB HP360 NIC PCIE in the slot, apparently working fine but taking up the space for a 2.5 ssd. I want another drive (OS) and use the nvme drive for storage. Do sata 2.5" to M2 adapters work in these with a M2 sata drive as OS? It will fit between the HP NIC and cover, giving me two drives. I prefer one drive OS and other nvme drive data (in this case iso's and data for proxmox, pfsense and whatever).

I have read a fair bit but still have a lot to go. Thanks for the great resource.
Hi. I have an m920q with an i7-8700T on the way, also planning to use it with Proxmox (my 1st install). How much space did you need for the OS, and we’re you able to install a second M2 drive? I’d like to have RAID 1 for my data drives. Mine is coming with a 1TB M.2 NVME drive, and I can remove the Wi-Fi card to create space, as it will be over wired Ethernet. Ideally, I could put in a smaller 2.5” SSD for the OS and add a 2nd M.2 1TB drive for the RAID 1. I’m actually not 100% sure it supports 2 M.2 drives.

This is a fabulous resource. I’d welcome any advice you can share from your configuration.

Zyrem

Sep 5, 2023
Hi,
I am looking a 8-9th gen cpu BIOS RAID (raid 1) capable model like P330 and m920x
can anyone recommend any other model with RAID?

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
All of the Thinkstation Tiny models can do RAID and all of the models listed on the first page of this post that have 2 m.2 slots can do RAID as well, i.e., thinkcentre m910x, m920x, m80q, m90q etc.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
I'm not positive, however, I don't know of any HP mini or Dell micro units that come with 2x M.2 slots

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Hi. I have an m920q with an i7-8700T on the way, also planning to use it with Proxmox (my 1st install). How much space did you need for the OS, and we’re you able to install a second M2 drive? I’d like to have RAID 1 for my data drives. Mine is coming with a 1TB M.2 NVME drive, and I can remove the Wi-Fi card to create space, as it will be over wired Ethernet. Ideally, I could put in a smaller 2.5” SSD for the OS and add a 2nd M.2 1TB drive for the RAID 1. I’m actually not 100% sure it supports 2 M.2 drives.

This is a fabulous resource. I’d welcome any advice you can share from your configuration.
Welcome!

Where were you thinking of putting the second M.2 SSD? It appears that the WiFi M.2 slot connector uses the "E" key. Generally, its hard to find SSDs that will work with E Keyed M.2. E Key has the gap in a different place than the M key that's usually used for NVMe SSDs. I could be wrong of course, but that's the way it looks?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I'm not positive, however, I don't know of any HP mini or Dell micro units that come with 2x M.2 slots
Pretty much all of the HP "tiny's" G6 and newer have 2x m.2 slots. Some of the G4 models did too. On all of them using the 2nd m.2 slot requires that you do not install a 2.5" SATA.

Zyrem

Sep 5, 2023

per index on first page, m920q requires soldering to get the second m.2 slot.

HA_tinkerer

Sep 4, 2023
Welcome!

Where were you thinking of putting the second M.2 SSD? It appears that the WiFi M.2 slot connector uses the "E" key. Generally, its hard to find SSDs that will work with E Keyed M.2. E Key has the gap in a different place than the M key that's usually used for NVMe SSDs. I could be wrong of course, but that's the way it looks?
Thanks for the reply! There is space for an internal 2.5” SSD too. But it also raises question for where to put OS.

HA_tinkerer

Sep 4, 2023
per index on first page, m920q requires soldering to get the second m.2 slot.
Yep, saw that. I’ve done soldering, but not sure about doing so on a multilayer pcb with lots of SMDs. Open to other options. Also willing to consider the solder solution after I look at the board upon delivery today. Maybe I missed it, but has anyone seen instructions (ideally video) for how to do that and what components are needed?

update. Found this, which is way beyond me. Not soldering 0402 components GitHub - badger707/m920q-dual-NVME: Lenovo M920Q dual NVME, conversion to M920X.

Last edited:

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
I don't think the Proxmox installer sees the RAID1 UEFI setup. You have to mirror with ZFS

HA_tinkerer

Sep 4, 2023
After further consideration, with solid backup schedules, I won’t need the RAID 1. Therefore, the question becomes installing the Proxmox OS and VM storage on the same drive vs. getting another small 2.5” SSD for the OS.

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Help needed! I bought a used m720q on ebay a few days ago which turned on but won’t boot into BIOS and beep 4 times (3 long and 1 short). I have tried 1) booting with/without SSD; 2) booting with one and two stick(a) of ram (both are perfectly fine as they work on other systems); 3) clearing CMOS and 4) re-seating the battery.
Per my 920q documentation, that sequence of beeps means memory is not detected