Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Zune

Apr 27, 2023
Brazil
Actually my M920x Tiny came with a 135W power supply, so theoretically it should be enough for the i9-9900T (35w) and T1000 (50w).
I recommend you to buy a PSU from 170W to 230W even more because you will have an i9 + T1000 in you setup.

To comparison I got a T340 with i9 10900 (without dGPU) and my 130W PSU doesn't work well. It starts to emit some pops and noises that clearly indicate that a PSU is not supporting my setup.

Future I'm gonna buy or a 170W or a 230W because this T340 will have an SFP+ NIC.

f13dfx

Jun 19, 2023
I recommend you to buy a PSU from 170W to 230W even more because you will have an i9 + T1000 in you setup.

To comparison I got a T340 with i9 10900 (without dGPU) and my 130W PSU doesn't work well. It starts to emit some pops and noises that clearly indicate that a PSU is not supporting my setup.

Future I'm gonna buy or a 170W or a 230W because this T340 will have an SFP+ NIC.
It depends what you intend to use the cpu/dGPU combination for. If you're using default power on your i9-10900, a 130w power supply is plenty, but if you're lifting power limits to do more intensive work or heavy gaming, your power consumption could go all the way up to 140w and that's where your processor shines! So yeah, in your case a 230w power supply should be a given. Having said all that, I do have my eye on a 230w GaN Power Adapter, if the price ever comes down! :p

Last edited:

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
Well the plan is HomeBridge, Jellyfin server (using iGPU to encode, playing on Apple TV)... but also Duckstation and Kodi Player (hence the RX 6400 with HDMI 2.1)

This is my first project so I am a little bit lost when I bounce into a slight problem.
Hmm, I think you could get away with a quadro p620. I even think the Lenovo tiny baffle from a P330 tiny with a p620 baffle would be a perfect fit on your M720q, I think given the processor gen 8 they are definitely same generation machines

weaselz

Jun 20, 2023
I have been holding out buying a M920q for a very long time.

The only thing that has bothered me is whether these have Computrace in the bios. Am I right in thinking that these Lenovo Thinkcentres have Computrace or is that only on Thinkpads?

drvcrash

Jul 29, 2020
ok so i have some gen 11 m90q and p350 tinys acting weird. both have a AOC-STGN-i2S DUAL card in them. with the dac cable in the card it refuses to boot. they are running nutanix ahv which is just linux. So they go thru bios load and come to the os boot loader screen then just hang. if i turn it off and pop the dac cables out they boot right up and then i can plug them back in and they work just fine until the next reboot.

Ideas where to begin? I also have two 10th gen m90q's setup the same way and they boot just fine. Same everything. My next step im gonna just put windows on one and see if the issue still happens

Zune

Apr 27, 2023
Brazil
If you're using default power on your i9-10900, a 130w power supply is plenty
I would even agree with you if my PSU did not do these stuffs like I told you: "It starts to emit some pops and noises that clearly indicate that a PSU is not supporting my setup.". To be clear, my PSU is brand new, not used. The same test was made by another 90W PSU and It did the same one.

Which means that my PSU is not supporting my setup only with an i9, imagine with a dGPU attached...

I recommend that you buy a PSU from 170W upwards.

Reactions: f13dfx

AWBbox

Jul 29, 2021
London, UK
ok so i have some gen 11 m90q and p350 tinys acting weird. both have a AOC-STGN-i2S DUAL card in them. with the dac cable in the card it refuses to boot. they are running nutanix ahv which is just linux. So they go thru bios load and come to the os boot loader screen then just hang. if i turn it off and pop the dac cables out they boot right up and then i can plug them back in and they work just fine until the next reboot.

Ideas where to begin? I also have two 10th gen m90q's setup the same way and they boot just fine. Same everything. My next step im gonna just put windows on one and see if the issue still happens
Make sure the firmware on the card is up to date, you'll need to contact Supermicro to get hold of it. Also try a DAC cable one a a time in either SFP slot just to rule out some sort of fault with those. What DAC cables are you using (make/model)?

Jun 25, 2023
Does anyone have an up to date Lenovo Thinkcentre Tiny model # cross-reference to share?

The following is good for older items, but after 2018, it only lists model #'s with no other info.

The info useful to me would be:
- Year/Release date of model
- Model #
- CPU's supported/offered with (AMD/Intel) and specific model #
- Any other info would be nice, but the above info would be most useful to myself.

Thanks.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
The new Thinkstation P3 Tiny has a 2.5gbps upgrade featuring a single Realtek RTL8125BGS. Looking at the card specs, it appears to be a 5W card and adding the 3 extra connections ups it to 7W. There are two other options for 4 port Gigabit ethernet via intel or Broadcom offerings. Any idea or knowledge out there why they wouldn't offer a 4 port version of the 2.5gbps Realtek? I see that most of them for sale would fit Tiny units, is it power delivery via the PCIe connector? Or is it in reality a really hot card even though the quad port unit is advertised as a 7W card? Is that just at idle then?

Leonsio

May 8, 2023
Hi
My p350 tiny mailboard has unpopulated slots for sata 2 and m.2 ssd3. Has anyone tried to wake up this ports. Like second m.2 port on m720q?

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
Hi
My p350 tiny mailboard has unpopulated slots for sata 2 and m.2 ssd3. Has anyone tried to wake up this ports. Like second m.2 port on m720q?
the sata port works but there isn't a proper drive carrier for it. Both of the m.2 slots on the bottom of your Tiny work, you can use Intel RST or RAID in the UEFI BIOS as long as both drives are Intel m.2's, Other manufacturers do not enable the BIOS option. the m.2 slot on the top of the mainboard is typically used for wifi, however, there are many solutions that can be used in this top slot it doesn't appear to have whitelist exceptions (although if someone else has information on please advise)

Leonsio

May 8, 2023
the sata port works but there isn't a proper drive carrier for it. Both of the m.2 slots on the bottom of your Tiny work, you can use Intel RST or RAID in the UEFI BIOS as long as both drives are Intel m.2's, Other manufacturers do not enable the BIOS option. the m.2 slot on the top of the mainboard is typically used for wifi, however, there are many solutions that can be used in this top slot it doesn't appear to have whitelist exceptions (although if someone else has information on please advise)
Thanks for the info. But the answer does not fit the question.
The mainboard has a SATA port with a corresponding conector. However, there are also pins and description for SATA2. Just as for M.2 SSD3 and this does not mean M.2 WLAN or other 2 ports on the back.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
OIC, well I'm not certain then but if your soldering skills are up to snuff and you're feeling brave, you could find out that way? I've never run across schematics for their motherboards and don't know if the chases are connected electrically.

HDClown

Jun 30, 2023
Anyone been able to unlock BIOS on Gen 3 units? I have a P360 Tiny with an i7 12700 (65W TDP) that I got at a steal and was hoping I'd be able to control PL1/PL2 with BIOS unlock. Tried some of the methods that people say have worked on older models but not getting very far. The BIOS files are CAP files (AMI secured files from what I understand) where as older gen models used a BIN/ROM that isn't secured, and is easier to work with.