Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
Trying to purchase the m910x version. Bit of a confusing process to be honest.

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Trying to purchase the m910x version. Bit of a confusing process to be honest.
Let us know how it works out.

I've given up on these as a NAS but using one with a dual/quad 2.5G NIC to run pfSense could be compelling as a name brand alternative to the Topton machines on other threads.

axotopia

May 14, 2023
Hello All! Hope everyone is having a good day, wherever you live! Just won an eBay auction for a Lenovo Thinkcentre M920x with Core i5-8500, 8GB RAM, NVMe 256GB, Win11 Pro License & 135W power brick for $235. Originally was just planning on using it to run my DIY home surveillance camera system using Blue Iris Software, but the more research I did, these 1L units can pack quite a bit. I was thinking of finding good deals locally for a Core i9-9900T and Quadro T1000 which I believe would be the maximum upgrade with still being to have a fully encased 1L system. I know the RTX A2000 is out there with even a single-slot mod, but I'm just a light gamer, mainly doing F1 & MotoGP franchises.

One thing I've tried to confirm but still don't believe is why Lenovo support says that you can only pair a discrete GPU (ie. T1000) with a T-Series CPU (ie. i9-9900T). So my current i5-8500 won't work with the T1000, or so they say. Has anyone tried this out to see if it works OR am I just late on the scene & it's a known fact?

Thanks in advance!
I initially paired my Tesla P4 which is a pass-thru GPU with the i5-8500 with no issues, so my guess is the T1000 which uses same drivers Quadro/Tesla driver should theoretically work.

Terranigma

Jun 15, 2023
Yes, can do that.
I had to do slight modifications as you see in the picture.View attachment 27331

Did you have to take off the gpu shroud because of the front IO or because of it being close to the top cover, in case of contact/shorting?
Because I am trying to install that very XFX gpu into a p340 Tiny, which has that IO on the other side, so i have plenty clearance there.
But I obviously don't want to risk shorting out my expensive p340.

f13dfx

Jun 19, 2023
I initially paired my Tesla P4 which is a pass-thru GPU with the i5-8500 with no issues, so my guess is the T1000 which uses same drivers Quadro/Tesla driver should theoretically work.
Wish I saw your post before diving in on eBay for a i9-9900T (not ES) for $260. Anyways, I got a great deal on the Lenovo T1000 8gb pulled out of a P350. Form factor looks the same as the AMD Radeon RX560 that was the best dGPU option for the M920x when it was first released. I'd love to be able to snag a P350 top case cover that has the 2 large vents for added ventilation. I'm hoping the Front Bezels on these case covers are easily interchangeable. Worst comes to worse, I'll do a cutout with a magnetic filter screen for added ventilation.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
Hello All!

One thing I've tried to confirm but still don't believe is why Lenovo support says that you can only pair a discrete GPU (ie. T1000) with a T-Series CPU (ie. i9-9900T). So my current i5-8500 won't work with the T1000, or so they say. Has anyone tried this out to see if it works OR am I just late on the scene & it's a known fact?

Thanks in advance!
Hmm I think @rafale77 did do some testing with 65W cpu and dGPU's in the past, USe the search function for their posts?

axotopia

May 14, 2023
Wish I saw your post before diving in on eBay for a i9-9900T (not ES) for $260. Anyways, I got a great deal on the Lenovo T1000 8gb pulled out of a P350. Form factor looks the same as the AMD Radeon RX560 that was the best dGPU option for the M920x when it was first released. I'd love to be able to snag a P350 top case cover that has the 2 large vents for added ventilation. I'm hoping the Front Bezels on these case covers are easily interchangeable. Worst comes to worse, I'll do a cutout with a magnetic filter screen for added ventilation.
Just make sure your power supply has enough juice for adding the dGPU or avoid potential boot or sudden power down issues. The typical 65W may be borderline insufficient, I assume the M920q may have shipped with 135W which should work.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
My P350 with a T600 came with a 170W psu and an i7 11700T cpu as did my P340 with an i9 10900T with a T1000 8GB.

f13dfx

Jun 19, 2023
Just make sure your power supply has enough juice for adding the dGPU or avoid potential boot or sudden power down issues. The typical 65W may be borderline insufficient, I assume the M920q may have shipped with 135W which should work.
Actually my M920x Tiny came with a 135W power supply, so theoretically it should be enough for the i9-9900T (35w) and T1000 (50w).

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
No dispute on that, the RAM, Mobo and disks should only consume minimal wattage. It's only that I recall and this could be from @rafale77 posts, that he had more stability and performance from the bigger PSU's.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
Actually it was here that sparked a conversation between the 2 of us:

And then there was some information he shared with me:

@rafale77 said:

"
Hmm the only resource I found was my own try and error. As you probably know, I am running a "K" CPU with a 75W dGPU. First I discovered that on the HP Mini G5, the 9900 non K was underperforming. I then discovered that it was because of the power limits set for it. Then I discovered on the lenovo thread in this forum that people even with "T" CPUs saw improvements on their Tiny from upgrading the power brick. So I decided to try the P340 with the 230W power brick. Sure enough I can run a non "T" CPU alongside the dGPU without any impact on the power limits. Then I found out that I can even run a "K" CPU with the dGPU. Why? The power limit is set to be ~120W no matter what I do or what CPU I insert in this configuration.
Using a "K" CPU in the P340 will get you performance between the i9 10900K and the i9 10900. The system doesn't undervolt itself, I had to do it in the OS. It sets power limits. And yes indeed you will be better off with a copper heatsink... Essentially the 35W, 65W and 125W CPUs are identical, They were just set with different power limits and profiles which are overridden by the BIOS anyway if the power limit exceeds what the board can support. "

Also me stating the units came with 170W psu's was incorrect: They came with the 230W units. My 27" Tiny in One came with the 170W psu.

Anyway, your 135W should work, you may see a difference with a larger PSU

f13dfx

Jun 19, 2023
Actually it was here that sparked a conversation between the 2 of us:

And then there was some information he shared with me:

@rafale77 said:

"
Hmm the only resource I found was my own try and error. As you probably know, I am running a "K" CPU with a 75W dGPU. First I discovered that on the HP Mini G5, the 9900 non K was underperforming. I then discovered that it was because of the power limits set for it. Then I discovered on the lenovo thread in this forum that people even with "T" CPUs saw improvements on their Tiny from upgrading the power brick. So I decided to try the P340 with the 230W power brick. Sure enough I can run a non "T" CPU alongside the dGPU without any impact on the power limits. Then I found out that I can even run a "K" CPU with the dGPU. Why? The power limit is set to be ~120W no matter what I do or what CPU I insert in this configuration.
Using a "K" CPU in the P340 will get you performance between the i9 10900K and the i9 10900. The system doesn't undervolt itself, I had to do it in the OS. It sets power limits. And yes indeed you will be better off with a copper heatsink... Essentially the 35W, 65W and 125W CPUs are identical, They were just set with different power limits and profiles which are overridden by the BIOS anyway if the power limit exceeds what the board can support. "

Also me stating the units came with 170W psu's was incorrect: They came with the 230W units. My 27" Tiny in One came with the 170W psu.

Anyway, your 135W should work, you may see a difference with a larger PSU
Finally, a valid & logical explanation!!! Thank you so much! Like I mentioned, I don't do much gaming (F1 & MotoGP). Was only intending to use my M920x Tiny ThinkCentre as a 24/7 Blue Iris surveillance PC. Then when I did more reading, I discovered all the upgrades/mods that were possible! I do have my eyes on this 230w GaN AC Adapter if I want to take it on the road.

livmatus

Mar 2, 2023
So I just tested my M720q with i3 8100T and RX 6400 ... it idles at around 27W. It is quite high number.

I tested it with a clean (well... bloated.. we know MS) Windows 11 install... hope it lowers a bit with Ubuntu.

Also I definitely need to cut holes on the top case for both GPU and CPU .. the thing would cook itself.

Terranigma

Jun 15, 2023
So I just tested my M720q with i3 8100T and RX 6400 ... it idles at around 27W. It is quite high number.

I tested it with a clean (well... bloated.. we know MS) Windows 11 install... hope it lowers a bit with Ubuntu.

Also I definitely need to cut holes on the top case for both GPU and CPU .. the thing would cook itself.
Even with holes it gets hot. I have just installed an XFX Speedster RX 6400 into a P340, which has vents in the top, and it idled at 70c creeping up to 80 after a while. Do mind its hot here, so room temp was maybe 28c. But with top of and a box fan on it it dropped to 46c here for now.
Maybe taking the metal shroud off will help.

livmatus

Mar 2, 2023
The Sapphire Pulse RX 6400 has a plastic shroud I had to take off because of clearance. It idles at around 55c when closed and 50c when opened.
It's a different story during load tho.

The other thing that is making me uncomfortable is that the CPU fan isn't particularly silent. It sounds a little bit unbalanced. I'll give it a clean. But I can't really imagine having that running in the living room 24/7.

Maybe there's a time to rethink the whole project.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
What are you using this for? Streaming Home theatre stuff or base gaming machine?

livmatus

Mar 2, 2023
Well the plan is HomeBridge, Jellyfin server (using iGPU to encode, playing on Apple TV)... but also Duckstation and Kodi Player (hence the RX 6400 with HDMI 2.1)

This is my first project so I am a little bit lost when I bounce into a slight problem.