Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
ngl if that $116 link is M900 + the whole case and mod I may fail to resist another temper purchase
Me too :)

I wonder if the vendor provides a beefier power supply than the one that comes with the unmodified M900 to power up hard drives.

legit

Dec 24, 2021
Never heard of an M3600C but stumbled across this:

and a video of how that m900 NAS comes together:

evil_santa

Apr 16, 2023
It seems that the seller ships to the SuperBuy warehouse and they subsequently re-ship to the buyer. Am I correct?
Yes right, I'm using this agent service since 2 year's very great service and they have better knowledge with electronic parts then other services.

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Good to hear that. What approximately should I expect to pay for shipping the NAS to the US?

(I don't understand the carrier choices on offer, nor the inspection services!)

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
Fair inspection services, by default for free with Superbuy you get photos of whatever is inside the box your seller sends you. They will circle anything they think you should be aware of, which is surprisingly meticulous - I bought a couple of Hasivo switches lately and they circled the fact that it didn't have the Hasivo name on the switch faceplates whereas the original listing photos did. I didn't care in this case, but just to show they're quite precise.

You can also ask them, like I did in this case, to open packages, combine, and repack to save cost, and you can provide pretty detailed instructions on how you want it, I said to make sure the two (metal) switches are well wrapped so they don't scratch each other in transit. This is an extra charged service but it's very cheap.

Generally you self declare the value of the package for your domestic customs purposes, so you can, um, refine it a bit. The huge variety of shipping services is overwhelming, but they are all much the same and you basically pick one based on estimated delivery time and previous experience (if you have any). Not surprisingly the post-based services like EMS are cheaper than the couriers. There is also often an option which is a little more expensive but includes customs duty, no idea how that works in practice since it's way less than you'd expect to pay really, but so far the parcel comes to my door without having to pay duty, so best not to ask too closely I guess.

Last edited:

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
@Parallax

Thanks for the detailed response since it will be useful in the future.

I belatedly realized that my drives that I'd like to migrate are 3.5" whereas the ones that the converted M900 uses appear to be 2.5"

seadog2441

Mar 19, 2023
@Parallax

Thanks for the detailed response since it will be useful in the future.

I belatedly realized that my drives that I'd like to migrate are 3.5" whereas the ones that the converted M900 uses appear to be 2.5"
Time to an all flash nas upgrade then, in 2.5" sff of course.

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Good point.

Actually I have 3 of them of different vintages but had a senior moment and became enthused by the video of the NAS without thinking of the size of the drives :)

flobert

Sep 3, 2019
Never heard of an M3600C but stumbled across this:

and a video of how that m900 NAS comes together:

Found a M3600C for 76€.
Only the 3D printed files needed. How to get these?

mgutt

Apr 19, 2020
Progress so far - located and soldered 2 strapping resistors on CPU to "provide" x4x4 configuration, however I feel I'll need to look at BIOS to support that too.
Did you saw this?

He claims to successfully enabling X4X4 by replacing the resistors without any additional BIOS mods.

Progress so far - located and soldered 2 strapping resistors on CPU to "provide" x4x4 configuration, however I feel I'll need to look at BIOS to support that too. I'm just not too confident at digging into BIOS rabbit hole - anyone here with bios mod skills?
As far as I know its not possible to modify the BIOS of current gens as they are protected by certificates?!

Good call. Yeah, agree, getting one of these ASM1812 cards would be much easier, no doubts.
Forget such cards. They add a really huge amount of power consumption, heat and installed NVMe SSDs do not reach Standby/Sleep States. I tested a few days ago a Quad M.2 card with ASM2824 and it raised power consumption by 20W (!) without accessing any data on the installed NVMe SSDs (four 2TB Samsung Evo Plus):

f13dfx

Jun 19, 2023
Hello All! Hope everyone is having a good day, wherever you live! Just won an eBay auction for a Lenovo Thinkcentre M920x with Core i5-8500, 8GB RAM, NVMe 256GB, Win11 Pro License & 135W power brick for $235. Originally was just planning on using it to run my DIY home surveillance camera system using Blue Iris Software, but the more research I did, these 1L units can pack quite a bit. I was thinking of finding good deals locally for a Core i9-9900T and Quadro T1000 which I believe would be the maximum upgrade with still being to have a fully encased 1L system. I know the RTX A2000 is out there with even a single-slot mod, but I'm just a light gamer, mainly doing F1 & MotoGP franchises.

One thing I've tried to confirm but still don't believe is why Lenovo support says that you can only pair a discrete GPU (ie. T1000) with a T-Series CPU (ie. i9-9900T). So my current i5-8500 won't work with the T1000, or so they say. Has anyone tried this out to see if it works OR am I just late on the scene & it's a known fact?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

nva

Aug 19, 2018
Is there anyone had overheating issue with 10GbE card on these platform? These NICs typically consume less than 10W but in such cramped space with no fan it could be a concern.

AWBbox

Jul 29, 2021
London, UK
Is there anyone had overheating issue with 10GbE card on these platform? These NICs typically consume less than 10W but in such cramped space with no fan it could be a concern.
I'm very interested to know this too. I haven't put mine into "production" yet so to speak but with a 4xSFP+ card I am concerned. I am also still trying to engineer ways to monitor the temperature too if anyone has any ideas?

Phenic

Mar 17, 2015
No issues with a mellanox connectx-3 single sfp+. Others will have a better idea with dual and quad cards.
I'm very interested to know this too. I haven't put mine into "production" yet so to speak but with a 4xSFP+ card I am concerned. I am also still trying to engineer ways to monitor the temperature too if anyone has any ideas?