Lenovo 930-8i to Broadcom SAS 9460-8i SAS3508

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

KLMR

Jun 25, 2022
But do they have any hardware lock to prevent its use on non-lenovo servers?
I'm planning to upgrade from an old 3ware LSI 9750-8i in a HP workstation. Is there any drawback from getting the lenovo version instead of the broadcom one? (I asume broadcom support for firmare and software is better than lenovo one), but appart from that, is there any hardware limitation?

(Sorry if my questions are rather naive)

RAIDER

Apr 16, 2020
But do they have any hardware lock to prevent its use on non-lenovo servers?
I'm planning to upgrade from an old 3ware LSI 9750-8i in a HP workstation. Is there any drawback from getting the lenovo version instead of the broadcom one? (I asume broadcom support for firmare and software is better than lenovo one), but appart from that, is there any hardware limitation?

(Sorry if my questions are rather naive)
It is working fine with my supermicro boards. Lenovo's firmware support isn't superb but I#ve seen worse. They are some fw releases behind. On Windows you can use their firmware packs to update the firmware - it is not even complaining that it is not a Lenovo system. I believe I have upgraded the firmware also using the LSA software after extracting lenovos firmware pack so I suppose it works for storcli too.

There is hardware limitation and I'm pissed by all the ebay sellers advertising it as a replacement for 9460-8i:

1657303936256.png

No tri-mode support afaik --> no PCIe / NVME drives. So there's no option for profile change within the LSA management software.
I can't tell you if there are more differences but I run the card in a basic configuration using RAID10 with WD RED HDDs and in RAID1 Micron 5300 SATA SSDs and the Cachevault protection module.
Profile.jpg Personality.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: KLMR and darthray