Lenovo 930-8i (LSI 9460-8i) to LSI 9460-8i firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rsumperl

May 18, 2017
Hello everyone,
Is it possible to flash the Lenovo 930-8i card back to the LSI 9460-8i firmware? I'm trying to figure out why Lenovo would take a 9460-8i card, that's labelled 9460-8i, and put their firmware on it. With the Lenovo firmware, this card will not do NVMe drives, and I'd like that functionality back.

Thanks
Ray

Attachments

KLMR

Jun 25, 2022
A few months ago I had the same question regarding using tri-mode on 9460-8i or 16i.
The answer was no: you cannot flash with broadcom/avago firmware a lenovo-branded equivalent raid card. At least to use as a Raid card with nvme, cachevault, tri-mode, etc.

They implemented the "software unlock" firmware features (raid5, raid6, cache, tri-mode, etc.). You can buy licenses for features for your raid card. Thus, I presume, lenovo and other brands get "feature locked" firmwares for their clients, thus, you. Thus, they may have mechanisms to prevent cross firmware updates to force license purchases.

Read this thread:

huacz_2004

May 5, 2020
yes,930-8i is same as 9460-8i,if you have the vtboot file, you can flash 930-8i with broadcom firmware,then can use NVMe drives,but something like MFC can't change this way

gfhryhj

Dec 11, 2021
I have a bit different flavour of 9460-8i it's NEC 946N-8i but I think its behavior mostly the same. I was successful to flash it with Broaadcom firmware by storcli.efi using vtboot.rom and shorting J4 but during a next boot it stuck the BIOS at PCI Bus Initialisation stage and that's it.

Something prevent from booting controller with Broadcom firmware. My be someone know about the nature of this protection?

P.S.: try to search through forum for vtboot as I remember @Sleyk has published it.

KLMR

Jun 25, 2022
So did anyone managed to make it work as an "original" broadcom controller in mode 13 (nvme+raid)?