Legit AMD Epyc or no?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

grok9600

Apr 5, 2024
Hello, I purchased an AMD Epyc 7502 from ebay without realizing anything about china/us versions (only knew about vendor locks so that was only thing I was paying attention to at the time). I got from tugm4470 and heard he was a reputable seller. I was excited to open it today but noticed some chinese markings on the cpu. The listing said it was an official version. Won't be able to install it until next week but curious what people on here think in the mean time...

Attachments

erock

Jul 19, 2023
I bought around a dozen used Epyc Rome CPUs from tugm4470 on eBay. All came with this stamp, have worked very well and are equivalent as far as I can tell to CPUs purchased new from US vendors. If you clean your CPU with alcohol before applying thermal paste this stamp will come right off. I asked a Chinese friend what this means and he said it was some type of technology company brand stamp. These CPUs seem to be resilient and are definitely worth considering given that new out of the box equivalents cost a factor of 5 to 10 more.

Last edited:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
i second that. dealing with tugm4470 was a pleasure. fast shipping! He usually has the best price, but once a while, i do see better deals coming from the US for the EPYC CPU. But for the MB, i think he pretty much has the best deal.

Reactions: erock

erock

Jul 19, 2023
i second that. dealing with tugm4470 was a pleasure. fast shipping! He usually has the best price, but once a while, i do see better deals coming from the US for the EPYC CPU. But for the MB, i think he pretty much has the best deal.
For the 7302 and 7f52 Epyc processors, which are great for distributed CFD computingthe new versions are 5-10 more than used equivalents as sold by tugm4470.

I do sometimes get a little worried about used MOBO’s from any vendor in terms of security. I usually pay extra for new MOBO’s for critical machines. For non-critical machines tugm4470 H11DSi mobo’s have worked great at a hard to beat price. I do always update the BIOs though.

I wonder if/when used post-ROME Epycs will fall in price as drastically as ROME?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I wonder if/when used post-ROME Epycs will fall in price as drastically as ROME?
i doubt that. rome is cheap because replaced by MIlan's. Milan has no successor, so complete systems are sold or ultimately disposed of.
same situation with 2nd Gen. scalables. only the OEM are cheap but not supported by most of std.motherboards.

Reactions: erock

erock

Jul 19, 2023
i doubt that. rome is cheap because replaced by MIlan's. Milan has no successor, so complete systems are sold or ultimately disposed of.
same situation with 2nd Gen. scalables. only the OEM are cheap but not supported by most of std.motherboards.
Thank you for your insights!

So let me make sure I fully understand your comment. Let's say we use the H12DSi-NT6 Supermicro MOBO for this example. Since this MOBO was designed for Rome and a single upgrade step to Milan, Milan is end of the line and and there is less incentive for data centers to quickly ditch the Milan system for Genoa, which would require replacing the MOBO and RAM etc... Used Rome is cheap now since there was a low-cost upgrade path to Milan using the same MOBO and RAM.

Reactions: RolloZ170

Blue4130

Jan 14, 2023
Hello, I purchased an AMD Epyc 7502 from ebay without realizing anything about china/us versions (only knew about vendor locks so that was only thing I was paying attention to at the time). I got from tugm4470 and heard he was a reputable seller. I was excited to open it today but noticed some chinese markings on the cpu. The listing said it was an official version. Won't be able to install it until next week but curious what people on here think in the mean time...
That stamp is put on by the reseller, not AMD.

Reactions: izx