Kodi and Hyper-V

Discussion in 'Software Stuff' started by Callan05, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Callan05

Callan05 New Member

Kodi and hyper v - a Strange mix of software, I agree.

Here's the scenario.
    I have a micro Xeon server, running Hyper-V server, domain controllers, wsus, couch potato, sabnzb, unifi, FreeNAS (build in progress), blue iris (2019 sometime..) and some other small things.
    No problem with this setup.

I have a raspberry pi connected to my tv that does struggle a little with some videos. I was thinking of just getting something more powerful, which lead me to the idea of using a sff computer (nuc etc.) with, for example, 16gb ram, nvme storage for os/boot and HDD for data. Run server 2016/19, Auto login and load Kodi, but also have the hyper v role, running a pair of vm's. (DC and Nas replica).

While not a conventional setup, I think it might work ok.
    It might also open the door to home automation, where I'd want at least 2 physical hosts for redundancy.

Has anybody tried this, or something similar?
    Power is a concern, as are size and noise. Cost comes somewhere down this list. Performance is not that important.

Cheers,

2. mmo

mmo Active Member

hmm... maybe use a Shield TV instead?

Callan05 likes this.
  3. BoredSysadmin

BoredSysadmin Active Member

I'm running a tiny S905x box (Khadas Vim Pro Gen1) for my TV media client with Kodi on it and zero issues with any video/sound played on it.
    I highly recommend Libreelec (just very thin Linux with Kodi on top) on supported hardware:
    LibreELEC Downloads – LibreELEC

Callan05 likes this.
  4. Marsh

Marsh Moderator

For the past few weeks, I been experiment with various media server and client ( hardware and software )

I tried following hardware: NVIDIA shield tv, various Roku , tiny I3-6100 and I5-6500 pc
    Media server software , PLEX , Emby, Jellyfin.
    For testing hardware transcoding, I added a Nivida P400 card ( the little P400 is a single slot card, cheap and fast , amazing value ). Also tested GTX 1060 , GTX 1080Ti, GTX1070Ti.

In the end, I am very satisfy with a $29 Mecool PRO W S905w tv box. Great value

The Mecool tv box is running CoreElec KODI v18 off a micro-sd card.
    Then I added the plugin Emby for Koi to populate the local KODI database.
    It direct play every media files, no transcoding. I could even watch video without Emby media server running.
    The whole setup uses the free version of Emby, without the premiere feature.

Emby software is very light weight process ( if transcoding is not required ), I used the portable Windows version, it works great. Takes few minute to unzip then run the Emby exe.

I also tested Emby using Proxmox LXC container , with and without Nvidia P400 card for hardware transcode.

Callan05 likes this.
  5. BoredSysadmin

BoredSysadmin Active Member

S905w is slightly modified S905X but without 60fps 4k, least according to some sources.
    S905W vs S905X, which is better and runs faster? | SMALLRT

Callan05 likes this.
  6. Callan05

Callan05 New Member

Thanks for all the replies and they are valid for a RPI replacement.
    I may still go that path, but the idea of a second/backup hyperv server that I can run a few windows/Linux/bsd vm's is still something I might explore.

7. Callan05

Callan05 New Member

Anybody else running VM's in their lounge room?

8. Marsh

Marsh Moderator

For 4K 60hz, there is Nvidia Shield , Roku.

S905w fits my need ( good value , cheap and decent speed , throw away when the next cheap new SOC comes along).

BTW, Today, I picked up a Roku premiere plus ( roku 4k with Ethernet port , dual band wifi, ethernet port is a must) for $25 on Ebay.

Too many cheap TV box , too little time to watch the video.

9. Marsh

Marsh Moderator

Not sure what you mean?

10. Callan05

Callan05 New Member

Sorry that wasn't worded well at all.

What I meant, is anybody running running virtual machines on the same host as doing media duties on a tv/projector.

11. kapone

kapone Active Member

For the most part, the answer would be no. There are far better ways of running things virtually even for media duties without limiting yourself to a "living room" form factor.