Kodi and Hyper-V

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Callan05

Nov 8, 2018
Kodi and hyper v - a Strange mix of software, I agree.

Here's the scenario.
I have a micro Xeon server, running Hyper-V server, domain controllers, wsus, couch potato, sabnzb, unifi, FreeNAS (build in progress), blue iris (2019 sometime..) and some other small things.
No problem with this setup.

I have a raspberry pi connected to my tv that does struggle a little with some videos. I was thinking of just getting something more powerful, which lead me to the idea of using a sff computer (nuc etc.) with, for example, 16gb ram, nvme storage for os/boot and HDD for data. Run server 2016/19, Auto login and load Kodi, but also have the hyper v role, running a pair of vm's. (DC and Nas replica).

While not a conventional setup, I think it might work ok.
It might also open the door to home automation, where I'd want at least 2 physical hosts for redundancy.

Has anybody tried this, or something similar?
Power is a concern, as are size and noise. Cost comes somewhere down this list. Performance is not that important.

Cheers,

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I'm running a tiny S905x box (Khadas Vim Pro Gen1) for my TV media client with Kodi on it and zero issues with any video/sound played on it.
I highly recommend Libreelec (just very thin Linux with Kodi on top) on supported hardware:
LibreELEC Downloads – LibreELEC

Reactions: Callan05

Marsh

May 12, 2013
For the past few weeks, I been experiment with various media server and client ( hardware and software )

I tried following hardware: NVIDIA shield tv, various Roku , tiny I3-6100 and I5-6500 pc
Media server software , PLEX , Emby, Jellyfin.
For testing hardware transcoding, I added a Nivida P400 card ( the little P400 is a single slot card, cheap and fast , amazing value ). Also tested GTX 1060 , GTX 1080Ti, GTX1070Ti.

In the end, I am very satisfy with a $29 Mecool PRO W S905w tv box. Great value

The Mecool tv box is running CoreElec KODI v18 off a micro-sd card.
Then I added the plugin Emby for Koi to populate the local KODI database.
It direct play every media files, no transcoding. I could even watch video without Emby media server running.
The whole setup uses the free version of Emby, without the premiere feature.

Emby software is very light weight process ( if transcoding is not required ), I used the portable Windows version, it works great. Takes few minute to unzip then run the Emby exe.

I also tested Emby using Proxmox LXC container , with and without Nvidia P400 card for hardware transcode.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
For the past few weeks, I been experiment with various media server and client ( hardware and software )

I tried following hardware: NVIDIA shield tv, various Roku , tiny I3-6100 and I5-6500 pc
Media server software , PLEX , Emby, Jellyfin.
For testing hardware transcoding, I added a Nivida P400 card ( the little P400 is a single slot card, cheap and fast , amazing value ). Also tested GTX 1060 , GTX 1080Ti, GTX1070Ti.

In the end, I am very satisfy with a $29 Mecool PRO W S905w tv box. Great value

The Mecool tv box is running CoreElec KODI v18 off a micro-sd card.
Then I added the plugin Emby for Koi to populate the local KODI database.
It direct play every media files, no transcoding. I could even watch video without Emby media server running.
The whole setup uses the free version of Emby, without the premiere feature.

Emby software is very light weight process ( if transcoding is not required ), I used the portable Windows version, it works great. Takes few minute to unzip then run the Emby exe.

I also tested Emby using Proxmox LXC container , with and without Nvidia P400 card for hardware transcode.
S905w is slightly modified S905X but without 60fps 4k, least according to some sources.
S905W vs S905X, which is better and runs faster? | SMALLRT

Callan05

Nov 8, 2018
Thanks for all the replies and they are valid for a RPI replacement.
I may still go that path, but the idea of a second/backup hyperv server that I can run a few windows/Linux/bsd vm's is still something I might explore.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
S905w is slightly modified S905X but without 60fps 4k, least according to some sources
For 4K 60hz, there is Nvidia Shield , Roku.

S905w fits my need ( good value , cheap and decent speed , throw away when the next cheap new SOC comes along).

BTW, Today, I picked up a Roku premiere plus ( roku 4k with Ethernet port , dual band wifi, ethernet port is a must) for $25 on Ebay.

Too many cheap TV box , too little time to watch the video.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Sorry that wasn't worded well at all.

What I meant, is anybody running running virtual machines on the same host as doing media duties on a tv/projector.
For the most part, the answer would be no. There are far better ways of running things virtually even for media duties without limiting yourself to a "living room" form factor.