Just put together my first NUC HTPC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
it's a BOXDC53427HYE. Got it from Kalleyomalley on eBay for $185.00. Picked up a Dell Samsung 256GB mSATA SSD for $48.00 and 16GB of RAM to rounds things out. Then I realized the only sound in this box was via HDMI. Since it's hooked to a projector, HDMI sound wasn't an option. I had a Trond USB sound card that solved this problem beautifully. If you ever need a USB sound card, the Trond is the cats meow.
I'm really happy with the outcome. The i5 based NUC is plenty fast and takes up no space to speak of. It's as close to the perfect HTPC I've ever had. :)

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I have one of those on every TV in my house. Awesome HTPC running Windows 10 w/ WMC and Emby.

Kybber

May 27, 2016
Interesting. For HTPC use, silence is key. How audible is the fan in a living room setting?

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Interesting. For HTPC use, silence is key. How audible is the fan in a living room setting?
They are pretty quiet. In my living room, I don't hear it at all. However, in my bedroom, if I don't blow out the dust a couple times a year, I can hear the fan every now and then...like if it reboots in the middle of the night.

Reactions: Kybber

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
it's a BOXDC53427HYE. Got it from Kalleyomalley on eBay for $185.00. Picked up a Dell Samsung 256GB mSATA SSD for $48.00 and 16GB of RAM to rounds things out. Then I realized the only sound in this box was via HDMI. Since it's hooked to a projector, HDMI sound wasn't an option. I had a Trond USB sound card that solved this problem beautifully. If you ever need a USB sound card, the Trond is the cats meow.
I'm really happy with the outcome. The i5 based NUC is plenty fast and takes up no space to speak of. It's as close to the perfect HTPC I've ever had. :)
what are you running on OS/software side of it ?

I have run an Intel NUC5CPYH (I think that is the right model) with 120GB ssd and 8GB ram
with LinuxMint 18 + Kodi on it.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I put Win 7 Pro on it. The last time I used a Linux / Kodi combo I shut down the system from the Kodi exit menu and that was the last I saw of Linux. I have my HTPC's set up to auto load Kodi and shut down the computer when exiting. This way I never see the OS.

As for the audio, this setup is in the bedroom and most of the time it's just me and I like to use headphones so I can hear better. I have a HiFiman tube headphone amp. When speakers are called for, I plug the NUC into a receiver. Using the Trond was easier than using the receiver to strip out the audio. My favorite programing is documentaries. The US Navy permanently damaged my hearing, this is why I need the headphones. :)

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I have been running Linux/XBMC(Kodi) for the last 4 years
the only time I had a problem was when my SSD died.
I shutdown the HTPC and it never came backup. but that was not do to Linux but hardware failure.
for the last 4 years I did not have a windows PC in my home. all I run is Linux based setups. :)
slow learning on my part, but I manage.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I have been running Linux/XBMC(Kodi) for the last 4 years
the only time I had a problem was when my SSD died.
I shutdown the HTPC and it never came backup. but that was not do to Linux but hardware failure.
for the last 4 years I did not have a windows PC in my home. all I run is Linux based setups. :)
slow learning on my part, but I manage.
I'd love to reach that point some day.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
well it's all about what you need to do.

at home I do not have to use or run any programs that dependent on windows.
Libre office works for me as MS Office replacement 99% of the time.
for my main PC I run Linux Mint Cinnamon @ 17.3 at the moment planing to move to 18 soon.
my HTPC si already on Mint 18 + Kodi , although I am mostly in the desktop using YouTube

my server is on OMV 3.0 but I plan to rebuild with Proxmox + OMV in VM.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Dunno. what's "dog's bollocks"?
Literally, the testicles of a canine. In a nutshell, means "excellent" and you can use the alternate phrases "the dog's danglies" or "the mutt's nuts" when the vicar comes over for tea.

Been running XBMC on linux on my HTPCs for years since it's so much less of a maintenance headache than windows IME; if you're looking to get a start on learning linux, an HTPC with XBMC on it is a good place to start IMHO, and using summat like that NUC means you don't need to worry that much about fighting the hardware (which has been an issue on some kit I've played with).

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I have decided to give Linux/Kodi a try on the NUC. What's the best way to go? Ubuntu/kodi? Kodibuntu? OpenElec? or something else?

TIA :)

OK, I went ahead and loaded Ubuntu and slogged thru a few problems but there's one I can't seem to solve. When I browser to a SMB share from within Kodi on a Win Server 2012 R2 box (My Media Server) I get an "Operation Not Permitted" error message. This does not occur when browsing to a Win 7 share, only win server. Security and permissions are wide open on the server and Ubuntu itself can connect to the share just fine so the problem is with Kodi. :( I've googled and haven't found a solution. This error is common on all platforms but I've found no reference of it on Win Server.

Last edited:

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I have decided to give Linux/Kodi a try on the NUC. What's the best way to go? Ubuntu/kodi? Kodibuntu? OpenElec? or something else?
XBMC works perfick on Windows already if you want to give it a whirl without being too disruptive to your original OS setup if you want to get to grips with the actual software side before you delve too much into configuring linuxy stuff. Personally I run mine on Debian with XFCE, since when I'm not using it for HTPC stuff it can be a regular desktop or gamingey stuff for the living room as well.

Personally, instead of using the inbuilt user-space NFS/CIFS clients within XBMC I've always just set up system mounts and pointed XBMC at those instead - that way they're available to the rest of the OS as well if you prefer. Dunno what the GUI way that the 'buntu's do it is but if you want to mount CIFS share an easy way to do it is to add a line like this to your /etc/fstab:
Code:
//winservername/sharename /some/local/pathname cifs username=fritz,password=thecat 0 0
Then point XBMC at /some/local/pathname for whatever source type.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
XBMC works perfick on Windows already if you want to give it a whirl without being too disruptive to your original OS setup if you want to get to grips with the actual software side before you delve too much into configuring linuxy stuff. Personally I run mine on Debian with XFCE, since when I'm not using it for HTPC stuff it can be a regular desktop or gamingey stuff for the living room as well.

Personally, instead of using the inbuilt user-space NFS/CIFS clients within XBMC I've always just set up system mounts and pointed XBMC at those instead - that way they're available to the rest of the OS as well if you prefer. Dunno what the GUI way that the 'buntu's do it is but if you want to mount CIFS share an easy way to do it is to add a line like this to your /etc/fstab:
Code:
//winservername/sharename /some/local/pathname cifs username=fritz,password=thecat 0 0
Sorry to be such a dummy but the above is just a little clearer as mud. :(
When I open fstab it opens as read only. How do I get past this hurdle?
Could you be a little more specific on the "/some/local/pathname for whatever source type" part?

Thanks

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
fstab's only usually writable by root, so you'll either need to open it as root or use sudo to open it as root.

/some/local/pathname will be somewhere on the HTPC's filesystem to mount the remote filesystem. Somewhere under /media or /mnt is traditional, personally I'd create a dir tree like /mnt/winservername/sharename to mount your share(s) under.

If you want to try mounting it without touching /etc/fstab you can run a command like:
Code:
mount -t cifs //winservername/sharename /some/local/pathname -o username=fritz,password=thecat
There's plenty of pages detailing these sorts of setups along with more background info, e.g.
Mounting Network Locations on Linux using Samba

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013

Code:
Also, the Kodi NFS and SMB clients are absolute crap. It's probably not too much of an issue on a full-fledged PC such as a NUC, though it might cause the CPU to work harder than is otherwise warranted. However, if you ever move to something small/embedded like a Raspberry Pi + Open/LibreElec it won't be able to keep up if you intend to stream off of a NAS or other local system. Going with the OS's built-in clients instead is essential.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The reason I went to Linux was studdering video under Windows. Audio was good but video was a bit herky jerky. This showed up mostly in panning scenes. Under Linux the video is perfect. I may just go back to Windows and see if I can sort out the video issue. It's an i5 NUC with 16GB of ram and a 246GB SSD. Don't think it's a HW issue, I think it's Kodi flakiness.