Just put together my first NUC HTPC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Also, the Kodi NFS and SMB clients are absolute crap. It's probably not too much of an issue on a full-fledged PC such as a NUC, though it might cause the CPU to work harder than is otherwise warranted. However, if you ever move to something small/embedded like a Raspberry Pi + Open/LibreElec it won't be able to keep up if you intend to stream off of a NAS or other local system. Going with the OS's built-in clients instead is essential.
I had issues with the Samba client buffering but have not had an issue with the NFS client on any client that i have used, (rpi, nuc, amd boards) includes using the NFS client in Kodi on windows. If you have any amd based machines kinda stuck with windows as their linux support sucks.

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
I had issues with the Samba client buffering but have not had an issue with the NFS client on any client that i have used, (rpi, nuc, amd boards) includes using the NFS client in Kodi on windows. If you have any amd based machines kinda stuck with windows as their linux support sucks.
What kind of content? I'm using almost exclusively straight MKV rips of DVDs and Blu-Rays. DVDs were mostly fine on the Kodi clients once I upped the buffer size, but I could see the amount of data the buffer contained widely fluctuating. Blu-Ray simply was a non-starter until I moved to the OS clients. It simply could not pull data down fast enough to keep up.

FWIW: RPi 2B at stock speeds, running OpenElec 5/6. Server is a FreeNAS box that easily saturates a 1 Gb link.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
What kind of content? I'm using almost exclusively straight MKV rips of DVDs and Blu-Rays. DVDs were mostly fine on the Kodi clients once I upped the buffer size, but I could see the amount of data the buffer contained widely fluctuating. Blu-Ray simply was a non-starter until I moved to the OS clients. It simply could not pull data down fast enough to keep up.

FWIW: RPi 2B at stock speeds, running OpenElec 5/6. Server is a FreeNAS box that easily saturates a 1 Gb link.
I was playing mkv blu-ray rips so 20-40GB files. I played with the buffer but never seemed to help I struggled with even OS clients. I was using freenas as the backend at the time and could of been cpu bound since it is highly dependent on single thread.

With NFS was able to play Blu-Ray on my RPi2's

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Crap !!!! :mad:

I'm trying to create an NFS share and I'm getting this -
fhhhthg.PNG

No matter what I do I still get this. Any help mucho appreciated.

Zack Hehmann

Feb 6, 2016
It would be helpful to see what other shares you have available on the server.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
There's only one share at present and it's a totally different drive and the share name is "Pictures"

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
CRAP!!!! Somebody help me out here. I have NFS Server installed and running in Windows Server 2012 R2 but I can't share the NFS share. I get the following error message when I try.
error.PNG

I tried it from the CLI using the instructions found here -

Create an NFS Shared Network Resource

They do not work.

I've never done this before and the gibberish I get from /? just frustrates me more.

Any help much appreciated. Sorry for beating a dead horse but I'm hoping someone will come along who knows how to make this work.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
OK, I found some better instructions on another site that were totally different from the above and they worked. I now have an NFS share that Kodi can see and connect to but there's still a problem. When I click on the share, nothing happens. In other words, the files in the share don't show up. :confused:

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
OK, I found some better instructions on another site that were totally different from the above and they worked. I now have an NFS share that Kodi can see and connect to but there's still a problem. When I click on the share, nothing happens. In other words, the files in the share don't show up. :confused:
Which version of kodi on what OS? I had issues with v16 accessing NFS share on windows, upgraded to v17 beta and fixed the issues. I screwed with permissions on my ubuntu server for a week trying to figure it out why linux worked but windows didn't. Windows with nfs client could see the files just kodi on windows, really screwy, should of posted on kodi forums but oh well.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Which version of kodi on what OS? I had issues with v16 accessing NFS share on windows, upgraded to v17 beta and fixed the issues. I screwed with permissions on my ubuntu server for a week trying to figure it out why linux worked but windows didn't. Windows with nfs client could see the files just kodi on windows, really screwy, should of posted on kodi forums but oh well.
Thanks. I'll check this evening I do know it's not a beta version and it was just downloaded. If the beta version fixes it I'll jump for joy. I temporarily switched back to Windows from Ubuntu but they're on 2 different drive so no problem to switch.