Junos...why can't we just get along

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
OK, deep breath...this is really just a bitch-fest/release as I have very little Juniper networking gear experience but am well versed in Procurve/Cisco-land. I just gotta come out and say it...I used to talk trash on Cisco for making me type two times as many commands to implement the same thing I could do on Procurve in 1/2 the cmds...well I guess I have a new kid on the block to trash-talk...loving my EX3300 switch so far but not exactly falling in love with the arcane cli that seemingly wants to make me enter three times the commands to implement similar functionality on a procurve. Getting good at set, commit, rollback though :-D haha

Making forward progress, I have now sorted out configuring vlan's and trunking on the EX series switches, got my old Procurve 2910al talkin' to the EX3300 and passing all vlan data across the trunk, got jumbo frames tuned up and playing nice pretty sure, don't full understand the 'units' Juniper concept yet and the hell if I can find out how to do a simple thing like backup running config/saved configs in flash to a network tftp server...seems like Juniper wants to push me down the ftp route and I sure can't seem to find very good documentation anywhere on how to accomplish this.

On a bright note, no issues whatsoever w/ using my old passive HP DAC's on the EX3300 10G ports so there's a small win.

Thoughts/advise/tips/tricks from the more seasoned Juniper/Junos gents' arnd here would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,

~whitey

Last edited:

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Yeah it was odd to get used to but the units are basically sub-interfaces, and it just requires at least one unit so all the configuration is at the same level across the switch/router.

Lots of folks will do unit NN for vlan NN to help keep things consistent on trunked ports for example. Note that if you use the web interface on the switch to manage the vlans per interface and don't explicitly set up multiple-units you will end up with a list of vlans on unit 0 which works fine but looks different when you "show configuration" on the cli.

More annoying to me is multiple personality ports like the SFP+ will switch names from ge-0/1/* to xe-0/1/* depending on the speed the link is at. It is more intuitive for me at least if it were consistently mapped to the physical slot where the connection is made regardless of the speed on the link but I guess it makes more sense in the router situation with lots of different module and interface types in a logical slot.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Thanks for feedback, much appreciated.

Any idea why my two xe-0/1/2 and xe-0/1/3 do not work/transit data appropriately for my 3rd ESXi node? I read somewhere that they come by default in a VPC or are typically used for trunks between a stack of EX3300 switches but also read that they can be configured as regular old switching ports. I compared the configs on xe-0/1/0 and xe-0/1/1 and they look IDENTICAL to the 3rd/4th ports xe-0/1/2 adn xe-0/1/3?

From online sources:

EX-3300 have ports xe-0/1/2 and xe-0/1/3 put in VC-port mode by default

Is there a super secret/special config I need to apply to get that working?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
NM, found the trick!

request virtual-chassis vc-port delete pic-slot 1 port 2
request virtual-chassis vc-port delete pic-slot 1 port 3

BAM, done deal!

Reactions: GuybrushThreepwood