JBOD controller

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pettinz

May 1, 2018
Hi,
I’m having troubles searching on internet SAS HBA controllers that allow me to configure my hard drives in JBOD mode. I searched for the LSI 9211-8i to be a good card but it is not well explained how to configure it to work in JBOD mode. What I need is that my drives are treated as a singole one, without redundancy, but if a drive fails, it must not compromise the others.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I think he's asking for the "jbod" raid where all hdds/ssds are put together to a large logical device, similar to raid 0 but without the striping.
Non-RAID drive architectures - Wikipedia

I'm not sure if braodcom or adaptec have raid controllers that support this raid type.

Stefan75

Jan 22, 2018
Switzerland
I'm not sure what goal is here either...
"but if a drive fails, it must not compromise the others"
If some disks are connected into a virtual volume, I expect that a drive failure would compromise the others.

If you're on Windows, have a look at DrivePool (StableBit).

devlinse

May 1, 2012
I'm not sure what goal is here either...
"but if a drive fails, it must not compromise the others"
If some disks are connected into a virtual volume, I expect that a drive failure would compromise the others.

If you're on Windows, have a look at DrivePool (StableBit).
Seconded. Member drives are all directly addressable in the even of other member drive failures. If you don’t duplicate the folders you lose files on the failed member, but the absence of the disk doesn’t impact the files on the remaining drives.