ITX pico power suggestions

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by Patriot, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Patriot

Patriot Moderator

Printed an ITX case for a nuc like ITX project. Yes it is bigger... 7.5"x7.5"x2.5"
    But it packs a full B450 itx board (2x hdmi, 1 DP) 200GE, 512GB NVME and 16GB ram.
    Nice little linux box. ( I still need to print the lid and back plate.)

It started right up, didn't detect nvme. Now won't even spin the fans with that 80w pico.
    2-3 boots max. The pico psu is good, powers up other atom and am1 itx boards just fine.
    But this Aurus B450 doesn't like it. I currently have it running off an old 650w seasonic ATX happily...and the psu is bigger than the case.

I need pico power suggestions OR, somewhere to buy an HDplex 160w.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. canta

canta Well-Known Member

Just see this thread.
    Are you pico psu that needs 12v or 19v input?

Did you get cloned pico from ebay or aliexprees?

3. Dark

Dark Member

I have a few PicoPSU 150xt units around, let me know if you’re interested in one.

4. fake-name

fake-name Active Member

What CPU do you have in that thing? Some of the motherboards with it claim they can run 100W+ CPUs. You're not going to be able to get that on a 80W PSU.

Get a Kill-A-Watt or similar, and look at your power consumption at the wall. I suspect the picopsu is browning out.

5. Markess

Markess Active Member

80 Watts ought to be enough for that. One easy thing to check is the power brick you're using. A lot of times, if you get the Pico PSU with a power brick, they come with a 12v 5a brick which is only 60watts. So, even though its rated for 80 (or more) watts, you aren't getting any better than 60 out of it. 60 watts is enough for Atom or AM1, but this probably draws a bit more than either.

Great looking case by the way!

6. omegatotal

omegatotal New Member

One thing to note is that the smaller picopsu's rarely have much capacitance, they could be getting hit with large spikes faster than they can compensate, you could try adding some 470uF 16V or 25V caps on the 12V rail of the picopsu.

Tha_14 likes this.