Issue with Ruckus R610 - Expert help needed!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CobaltFire

Nov 7, 2015
So I bought this thing about 6 months ago, but life got in the way. Previously from a hotel, everything worked when I got it just had locked settings. Reflashed to the latest Unleashed firmware and I'm completely baffled.

eth 0 and eth1 show down in CLI. I can configure the WiFi just fine, but it never does anything with the ethernet ports (that's how I can get to the CLI; via WiFi). It will take power on the POE port, but there is no link light and the switch (ICX 7150) only sees the power draw, no logical link. The other port will show a logical link, but my UniFi control pane doesn't show ANYTHING, no matter if I tell it to request DHCP (it doesn't) or give it an IP I've set aside. Can't ping, nothing. eth0 (POE) gives me a MAC, eth1 (the one that at least shows link lights) shows all 0's.

I've reflashed twice, reset to factory, powered via POE and/or barrel jack. Is the ethernet mac done? I read some isntances of these being bricked by firmware upgrades. I hope not as I don't have a use for a mesh AP at this time...

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Since it was working before, hopefully someone else has run into the same issue and can provide better quality help. But in the meantime...

I've received an eBay AP before which had a defective ethernet port, so definitely it's not impossible that your ethernet port(s) have a fault. I read several comments on Facebook that plugging 24V passive PoE into Ruckus APs will damage them. Do you have any passive unifi injectors that might've accidentally been plugged into the R610?

If you have PoE power, but no data, then the lights will all be off on the PoE ethernet port. So if you've confirmed the cable has data then this does sounds like a problem with the port.
You could be lucky though, and your PoE may be detected as 802.11af, so that the 2nd ethernet port is functional but disabled. In this case overriding the PoE operating mode to 802.11at (in the AP's model-specific settings) could bring the port up.
(Maybe not though - I just checked an R650 and it has no lights on the 2nd port when disabled but plugged into my switch).

You could also try flashing to solo firmware, on the off-chance some freak config error is causing this and is being retained through unleashed upgrades/resets. But this is really clutching at straws.

CobaltFire

Nov 7, 2015
I'm starting to second guess if everything was working perfectly. Maybe it was in mesh mode when I got it.

Never put anything but standard POE into it; I don't have anything else in the house.

I forced at mode in the settings; no change. Barrel connector; no change.

I'll give a shot to the solo mode, but I may just have to resell this as a mesh only AP and take my loss for letting it sit for six months instead of testing it right away. Sucks, but maybe I'll pop for a WiFi 6 model if this one won't work out.