Is this used server worth purchasing?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

plidosir

Jan 24, 2021
I'm looking at a used server in a tower form factor.

It's a Xeon E5-2420 with 12GB of ECC DDR3 (goes to 96GB). It has 8x SAS connectors with matching 2.5" bays.

I'm currently using a core i5 4670 with 16GB of RAM, 2x 8TB drives in mirrored RAID, 1x 1TB spinning rust, and 128GB SSD for the OS. This machine is maxed out (was not a server initially) and what I'm most short of is the RAM.

My priorities are low noise (I don't have a separate room, it sits in the home office), low power usage, under 300-400 EUR without drives (I'm happy with the ones I have now)

Is that Xeon server a good deal for about 150-200 EUR in Europe? Will my SATA HDDs work with the SAS controller that's in the server? I don't know how to compare across Xeon and i5/7 lines, just that they seem to be from the same time and Xeon > i5/7 for server/ProxMox duty generally.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Is that Xeon server a good deal for about 150-200 EUR in Europe? Will my SATA HDDs work with the SAS controller that's in the server? I don't know how to compare across Xeon and i5/7 lines, just that they seem to be from the same time and Xeon > i5/7 for server/ProxMox duty generally.
Not particularly, yes but the chassis not (2.5 vs 3.5", or are the 8tb drivds 2.5?), and more cores but significantly less frequency.
To me it's a downgrade

Glock24

May 13, 2019
Not particularly, yes but the chassis not (2.5 vs 3.5", or are the 8tb drivds 2.5?), and more cores but significantly less frequency.
To me it's a downgrade
And power consumption will go up, as Sandy Bridge is considerably less efficient than Haswell.

I don't know how to compare across Xeon and i5/7 lines, just that they seem to be from the same time and Xeon > i5/7 for server/ProxMox duty generally.
Core 2nd gen = Xeon E3/E5 (v1)
Core 3rd gen = Xeon E3/E5 v2
Core 4th gen = Xeon E3/E5 v3
Core 5th gen = Xeon E3/E5 v4

i5/i7 CPUs are more comparable to Xeon E3 line, the E5 line has more cores (except the lower end models) and support for a lot more RAM using ECC Registered modules.

The E3 line goes up to 32GB RAM, same as i5/i7. Newer E3s and newer i5/i7s that use DDR4 go up to 64GB.

The E5s can go as high as your budget allows.

Reactions: plidosir