Introducing the STHbench.sh benchmark script

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by Patrick, Oct 6, 2013.

1. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

Thx for insight. Any ETA on the update?

2. rayt

rayt New Member

I am very happy with my system, its been a worthwhile upgrade. Initially I had teething problems with the the system setup as many of the supermicro features were new to me. :rolleyes: Its easy to brick a server board with the wrong settings and then be forced into research to find out how to unbrick it. A very different experience from the consumer market. This website is godsend to me as everyone here are knowledgeable of high end systems, [particuarly supermicro], that are solid, stable, powerful, and can grow with need. :D

The benchmark test ran smooth for both the official and dev003 versions. The results seem "as expected", but I don't have anything to compare them to. Please note, I only have one cpu in a dual system, which is a non-standard configuration. The second CPU is not "needed" at this time. (I can double up the computing power anytime - the system is future proof - my main long term goal)

Low power consumption has been a surprise. The bios set to performance - energy efficient, which seems to be a reasonable power plan. With all the devices and 2 monitors plugged into the same UPS, the system typically draws 180 watts and may peak up to 350Watts. On sleep, it draws 100 watts, which is mostly the external drive. I have the standard supermicro passive cpu cooler, and the cpu never goes above 65C. Also the fact that the xeon v2 and v3 chips are drop in replacements is a outstanding feature of the of the 602 based motherboards [with bios update] .

I've emailed Patrick the results of the official test, with all the setup data stripped out. ( i don't know how to attach the log here) Sharing the test results is fine by me as I'd like to find out where my system stands.

As a suggestion, PPBM5 Benchmark Results does a nice job of evaluating members machines when it comes to video editing with premier pro. I do not have premiere pro nor am I interested in a 500MB download to run tests. The STH test was nice and simple in comparison.

And Patrick, I enjoy reading your front articles, they are well written and researched.

found out the STH email system has a message length limit. What the best way to upload the test results?

Ray

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  3. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Ray,

Thank you for this. Any way you can just put into a text file and attach via e-mail?

Regards,
    Patrick

4. rayt

rayt New Member

External email sent

5. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Had a bug report on the Dev003 version when it hit the redis benchmark. Setup was using 12.04.3:

6. TangoWhiskey9

TangoWhiskey9 Active Member

E-mail sent with some data points.

7. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

I did make a small edit to the CentOS/ RHEL side of Dev003.sh today. Found something missing when I tried it on the Rangeley platform.

8. MiniKnight

I think you should try compiling crafty from source BTW

9. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

May fold this into Dev004. Been getting compile errors today which is slowing things down. Argh!

Also, heard some issues with the redis-benchmark so am trying a new structure now. The very strange bit is that this was working previously. This may require some guru intervention though.

10. MiniKnight

Tried Dev004 on Ubuntu 13.10 ran fine until then end when I got this error:
    Amazing how much this script is doing in an automated manner now!

11. Biren78

Biren78 Active Member

One more bug for you:

12. mir

mir New Member

The installation line (11) needs to have gcc, make and expect added for Debian.

Also line 149: S=$($BIN -n $iterations -r $keyspace -d $payload -c $clients | grep 'per second' | tail -1$)
    Resolves in: tail: option used in invalid context -- 1

13. mir

mir New Member

Could it be that the entire paragraph in fact should be:
    Code:
    for clients in 1 5 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
    do
        SPEED=0
        for dummy in 0 1 2
        do
            S=$($BIN -n $iterations -r $keyspace -d $payload -c $clients | grep 'per second' | tail -1 | awk '{print $1}')
    	VALUE=$(echo $S | awk '{printf "%.0f",$1}')
            if [ $(($VALUE > $SPEED)) != 0 ]
            then
                SPEED=$VALUE
            fi
        done
        echo "$clients $SPEED"
    done

14. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

I think those are all in build-essential right?

On the fix on line 149 - Thanks! Am testing it right now (Dev005 if you wanted to try yourself)

15. mir

mir New Member

You are right about build-essential. What is wrong, however, is that the apt-get has a reference to phoronix-test-suite which is not available on the debian repositories in which case the entire apt-get install after phoronix-test-suite is not applied. To fix this you should add this instead to the Update_Install_Debian() function:
    wget -N http://phoronix-test-suite.com/releases/repo/pts.debian/files/phoronix-test-suite_4.8.6_all.deb && sudo dpkg -i phoronix-test-suite_4.8.6_all.deb

16. mir

mir New Member

Also, after running the redis-benchmark tests the redis-server should be shutdown by issuing the command: redis-cli shutdown

17. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Made those changes in Dev005. Thank you a ton mir!

18. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

So when I added this before Update_Install_Debian(), it ended up erroring out on my Ubuntu VM.

I think the real answer is moving away from PTS.

19. Jeggs101

Jeggs101 Well-Known Member

Trying Dev005

On the sysbench test, did you ever think of making it single and multithreaded? You would have to figure out the number of threads then I guess.

20. nitrobass24

nitrobass24 Moderator

Should be easy enough to set a variable in the beginning to determine number of cores.

Code:
    nproc=`nproc`