Interesting Problem w/ 3008 on board HBA on X10SRH-CLN4F...

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by g33k, Feb 5, 2016.

1. g33k

g33k Member

Good evening all,
    I have a Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F motherboard - works great except I cannot get the on board 3008 controller to recognize a drive. I have flashed it with both IT and IR firmware and can enter the SAS bios, but it never recognizes that it has a drive connected. Eve nwhen using a SAS --> SATS breakout cable, the controller never recognized a single drive connected. Any ideas? I'm stumped.

2. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Have you tried the drive on a different SAS controller?

I actually have 3 bad SAS SSDs (two SanDisk one Samsung)

3. g33k

g33k Member

The drives I've tried are all Enterprise SATA (Spinpoint HE103SJ's) and several SSDs. All drives work fine with other controllers (LSI 9271-8i and onboard SATA controllers). Tried 2 different brand-new SAS-SATA breakout cables as well. Very perplexing...

4. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

Interesting! I was just considering buying this board too... I think I may already have one or similar (maybe only 2port lan) model, I'll have to check and see which. (I know it has 12Gb/s SAS just forget if it was 4 or 2 port model)

5. g33k

g33k Member

Other than that, the board is really awesome - no issues with the onboard nic or SATA - I just may have a lemon LSI 3008 chip... The board has been solid outside of this issue, will be the first supermicro board that I've ever had a problem with. The chip was easy to flash from IR to IT mode - it just never has detected a connected drive, jsut wanted to ask around to make sure I'm not overlooking anything stupid simple that would cause it not to work.

6. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

The issue I've noticed with my onboard LSI (and have threads about it here) is that it will overheat and work the 1st boot, then get hot and stop working, and re-boots don't work. Letting it cool and botting and bam it's back again.

Is this in a chassis with enough air flow?
    Did you put a fan on the chipset? (That's what I did on some boards)

7. g33k

g33k Member

It's in a SC745TQ chassis, decent airflow. The 9271-=-8i isn't overheating and it is further away from the front fans. I'll try putting a fan on it, but it isn't that hot to the touch.

8. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

Prob not an issue then :(

9. g33k

g33k Member

Eh, RMAs happen... I'd rather have a problem like this than an intermittent problem that makes RMAing a real PITA.

solaris12 likes this.
  10. g33k

g33k Member

Lulz... Interesting resolution to this 'problem'. the SAS cables sent to me were actually crossover cables. (FOund out by googling the part number on the cable. ) Board works great, flashed the LSI 3008 to IT mode and it works as intended.

MiniKnight likes this.
  11. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised how many times we've seen that type of issue.