Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
Wholly $h!t is right. How loud are these? I can kinda guess the power draw based on my first build.

I recently got my first C6100 with 2 nodes for ~500 before I saw the whole c6100 thread.
I need to stay off of STH & eBay to stay married :)
I know exactly what you are saying!

Ever since joining STH (as you can see, not long ago) my bank account has been thousands thinner. But that still doesn't prevent me from visiting that list and thinking about offering -- until I saw there are already 4 competing offers on the very last one unit. I guess it's not going to be $400 for the last one.

And no, I didn't put in an offer, because it's hard for me to imagine what it is to have all 4 nodes on. I currently have 1 OCP Windmill and only 1 node is powered on.

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
@bmc2 you got a great deal! Someone just bought the last one at the listed price $2600
Your post made me to think someone paid $2600 for it.
Then when I checked the listing, it was an BO. In that regard no one knows what the final sale price was, but it's definitely not $2600!

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
offered 300, 2 Minutes later they accepted ...
Shipping is 121 Euro on Top, plus ca. 20% customs - still a Good Deal ...

at least i know where to put my 2670's and some ram that might be left now, will give a nice toy for the Labs :D

Luke Pulaski

Mar 16, 2016
Dell T5600 2x X5-2670 power issue update:
I mentioned earlier that the 635W power supply comes with the original T5600 gives error message at boot with 2x E5-2670. Well, while this is true it did not affect the performance. The reason I didn't see the 32 core was because the bios disabled hyper threading, after changing the bios setting everything looks fine. There is no difference of the passmark between 635w and 825w. The only inconvenience is with the 635W it won't kick into OS. I guess this won't be big issue if used as a desktop work station.

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
been reading this thread for a few days need some opinions my current work station

i7 5820k
16gb ddr4

do you guys think id see a performance bump if i were to get a dual e5-2670k setup with like 128gb ddr3?
I'm not no gamer mostly do video encoding etc

handruin

May 24, 2015
A little late to the party, and making some semi-questionable component choices, but the word is spreading...

Building a 32-Thread Xeon Monster PC for Less Than the Price of a Haswell-E Core i7
I read through their article and one thing that stuck out for me is that in their testing and findings for handbrake video encoding they made claims that they were only seeing 30% utilization when encoding a single video and that they gained benefits of running multiple instances.

This is not what I'm experiencing in my setup. I'm running a single instance of handbrake 64-bit encoding a single video file in h.264 @1080P under a Windows Server 2012 VM which has 16GB RAM and 16 cores allocated to it and I'm seeing close to 100% utilization at the guest OS and also under ESXi 6.0 U2 performance charts for extended periods of time. My encoding process has been going for about 35 minutes and the CPU usage hasn't dropped off.

cpu_usage_handbrake.jpg

esxi_cpu_perf.jpg

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
offered 300, 2 Minutes later they accepted ...
Shipping is 121 Euro on Top, plus ca. 20% customs - still a Good Deal ...

at least i know where to put my 2670's and some ram that might be left now, will give a nice toy for the Labs :D

damn i got also one, but offered him 400, still Good Deal ^^

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
damn i got also one, but offered him 400, still Good Deal ^^
Yep, definitely still a catch.
I originally did not 'need' one, as i try to standardise on Supermicro 2U - Units, but low shipping on top of the price was too much, couldn't resist ...

Still no real plan what exactly to do with it, either labs or offsite-backup is where it might end.

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
Yep, it´s ok.

i will replace my 6026TT-HIBQF , have a bunch of 2670´s and some 400gb sas ssd and four LSI warpdrive 1,2tb.

need to get some SAS upgrade keys.

what you think about the power consumption per node with 2x 2670 and 128Gb ram ?

currently one nodes need around 130Watt, with x5670 and 96 gb.

EDIT : looks like the SAS ports already active.

Last edited:

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
I currently have 1 out of 3 Nodes nearly 'finished' / at least to a point to get a first impression.
It has dual 2670, 8x 16GB RAM, 2x 300gb SAS + 6x 1TB SATA, x9dri-f, Adaptec 8805 + dual-port ConnectX-2.
Final configurations will look a bit different ...

IPMI shows me ca. 150w+ idle, peaking at ca. 330w when CPU + HDD`s are under full load.
Currently have no Device to measure on the wall but will do so soon.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
I read through their article and one thing that stuck out for me is that in their testing and findings for handbrake video encoding they made claims that they were only seeing 30% utilization when encoding a single video and that they gained benefits of running multiple instances.

This is not what I'm experiencing in my setup. I'm running a single instance of handbrake 64-bit encoding a single video file in h.264 @1080P under a Windows Server 2012 VM which has 16GB RAM and 16 cores allocated to it and I'm seeing close to 100% utilization at the guest OS and also under ESXi 6.0 U2 performance charts for extended periods of time. My encoding process has been going for about 35 minutes and the CPU usage hasn't dropped off.

View attachment 2061

View attachment 2062
Well, they were only doing 720p and who knows what quality preset. There are so many variables and they didn't get specific.

neutrino

Apr 6, 2016
For those of you that bought the kalleyomalley deal on the Intel R2312GL4GS... couple questions and comments:

1. Do you need the RMM4Lite AXXRMM4R kit to enable the extra IPMI features? Included items lists a "IntelRemote Management Module 4". I don't need the extra NIC but wondering what I'm not getting without the upgrade key if it's not included (remote KVM / remote USB?)
  2. Looks like by default only 4 of the 12 drives bays will be enabled, correct? Are you guys getting the C600 RAID upgrade kit and/or SAS expander or dropping in something like an IBM M1015 and connecting the other two SAS ports on the backplane?
  3. V1 kit vs V2 kit: looks like the only difference between the two are the firmare versions installed so seems like it's possible to bring the V1 upto the V2 versions.

jmck

Apr 4, 2013
For those of you that bought the kalleyomalley deal on the Intel R2312GL4GS... couple questions and comments:

1. Do you need the RMM4Lite AXXRMM4R kit to enable the extra IPMI features? Included items lists a "IntelRemote Management Module 4". I don't need the extra NIC but wondering what I'm not getting without the upgrade key if it's not included (remote KVM / remote USB?)
  2. Looks like by default only 4 of the 12 drives bays will be enabled, correct? Are you guys getting the C600 RAID upgrade kit and/or SAS expander or dropping in something like an IBM M1015 and connecting the other two SAS ports on the backplane?
  3. V1 kit vs V2 kit: looks like the only difference between the two are the firmare versions installed so seems like it's possible to bring the V1 upto the V2 versions.
1. You don't need anything more, it already has everything. The lite enables the same features as whats already included but without the dedicated NIC. See here Intel® Remote Management Module

2. I haven't received mine yet to see what cables are included but without the upgrade key, only 1 of the SCU's is enabled. I'm going to drop some cross flashed H310's in anway.

3. We talked about that a few pages ago a little but and it's all we could come up with. I bought a different 2U from them that I already received and the firmware on it didn't support V2.

Reactions: heathen