Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Soooo, basically I can't connect to the server until I connect a monitor and access the BIOS first?

If so, I like the SM approach of default to handing out a DHCP address and just scan for it. Literally rack and connect.

Now I have to go find a spare monitor and keyboard/mouse to string up.
hehe, you could always try to **** about with SoL... :) But that may be disabled by default too...

I honestly hadn't paid much attention to the BMC defaults, if there is no DHCP on any of the NICs for BMC... I thought it defaulted to DHCP, but at least one of the s2600CP's that I received from natex had the NICs disabled in the bios. I think they (the nics) were enabled out of the box on the S2600GL tho...

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
What cases/chassis are you guys using (sans Intel chassis) that have a loud fan output? Quiet fan output? Curious as I see a good mix of quiet and not so quiet systems. I have a similar setup that I built (decided not to use though) that is pretty quiet.
I've used a Fractal Design XL R2 with good results.
It's noiseproofed from the factory, and has built in fan controller with 3 settings (low, med, high), none of them at all noisy.

The case looks very good as well :)

-Jannis

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
So just got around to booting up 1 on my R2312GL4GS systems and see this critical error. Thoughts?

Code:
21 04/19/2016 13:33:08 BB +1.35 P1LV CD Voltage reports the sensor is high, critical, and going higher state - Asserted
20 04/19/2016 13:33:08 BB +1.35 P1LV CD Voltage reports the sensor is in a high, but non-critical, and going higher state - Asserted
So far I booted the machine, enabled the remote management module and enable virtualization features. System has 2 x E5-2670's and 16x8GB of Nanya RAM. Also has a 2nd 750W PSU. Nothing else installed and was just booting from USB stick to run RAM/CPU tests.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
So just got around to booting up 1 on my R2312GL4GS systems and see this critical error. Thoughts?

Code:
21 04/19/2016 13:33:08 BB +1.35 P1LV CD Voltage reports the sensor is high, critical, and going higher state - Asserted
20 04/19/2016 13:33:08 BB +1.35 P1LV CD Voltage reports the sensor is in a high, but non-critical, and going higher state - Asserted
So far I booted the machine, enabled the remote management module and enable virtualization features. System has 2 x E5-2670's and 16x8GB of Nanya RAM. Also has a 2nd 750W PSU. Nothing else installed and was just booting from USB stick to run RAM/CPU tests.
I'd suggest that you first run through the BIOS, FRU, and SDR updates and see if the issue persists.

Reactions: JayG30

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
With some googling looks like an issue with Processor 1's RAM.
The sensor name makes sense now. P1 (processor 1) LV (low voltage) CD (memory slot C and D).
If you find that reseating (or removing those modules) doesn't clear things up... I recall seeing a TA concerning memory voltage sensor that was resolved via sensor record update; hence the suggestion for the SDR/FRU update; plus it's just cool to do, man.

Reactions: JayG30

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
If you find that reseating (or removing those modules) doesn't clear things up... I recall seeing a TA concerning memory voltage sensor that was resolved via sensor record update; hence the suggestion for the SDR/FRU update; plus it's just cool to do, man.
Thanks, I'm in the middle up the update now. Will update.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
EDIT: Nevermind. Had a dumb moment. I thought the update was done and I was supposed to EXIT. Now I see I need to run the SDU and FRU update by pressing 3. lol

Looks like you were right with the update. The critical error has gone away and is reading 1.35V now. :)

Last edited:

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
hehe, you could always try to **** about with SoL... :) But that may be disabled by default too...

I honestly hadn't paid much attention to the BMC defaults, if there is no DHCP on any of the NICs for BMC... I thought it defaulted to DHCP, but at least one of the s2600CP's that I received from natex had the NICs disabled in the bios. I think they (the nics) were enabled out of the box on the S2600GL tho...
:) I wasted few hours scratching my head as ESXi 6 wouldn't install saying that there were no NICs but I was able to get to BMC. Then I noticed both the NICs were disabled in BIOS.

All the 4 NICs were enabled in the S2600IP4 system I got from OEM XS.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jdartnet

jmck

Apr 4, 2013
Anybody that got a R2312GL4GS or R2312GZ4GS9 replaced the heatsinks with something better and if so, what?

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
Anybody that got a R2312GL4GS or R2312GZ4GS9 replaced the heatsinks with something better and if so, what?
I was thinking the same thing because even the system is 2U, the heatsink looks like for 1U and the fins are thick. However I doubt you can put in a normal 2U or even 1.5U HS because of the transparent air duct.

If you don't care about the air duct, maybe you can try this Super Micro SNK-P0048AP4? That may actually increase the heat dissipation than the original design. I believe from time to time you can see those around $30 or so on ebay.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
I received my R2312GL4GS, RMM4 was included and generally working.

Noticed that the BMC won't let me mount ISO-Images on the java viewer, it says 'not supported'.
It also has some problems getting the image shown, keyboard works all the time, video 'sometimes' - but this might be some weird java-issues on OS X, too.

Both never was a problem with the Supermicro - Servers.

Is this 'normal behaviour' with RMM4 or some upgrade-key missing ?

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
I had to enable RMM in the BIOS to even access the server (set to static 0.0.0.0 by default). The default users (anonymous and root) didn't have the RMM features available by default (so I created a new user). I feel like there was something in the BIOS to enable/allow the advanced features for RMM. I'm running tests right now or I'd check.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
I had to enable RMM in the BIOS to even access the server (set to static 0.0.0.0 by default). The default users (anonymous and root) didn't have the RMM features available by default (so I created a new user). I feel like there was something in the BIOS to enable/allow the advanced features for RMM. I'm running tests right now or I'd check.
Hi, yes, we also enabled RMM in the bios and set the appropriate rights and also configured static ip.

After that the web-access worked, also the java-based kvm-console that can be launched from there (with limitations, not always video).

What doesn't work is adding a local iso-file for installing an os with the java-viewer. This is my preferred way to install an os to my supermicro servers as it`s convenient and also silent.
So, this is either 'locked', somehow we made a mistake configuring / allowing it or just does not work with RMM. Also, there are no options in the web-based gui of rmm for it.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
ISO mounting on mine is working, I checked. Can you link to the listing you purchased? Do you have the dedicated management NIC in yours? FYI, I bought the one listed HERE which included the dedicated NIC.

The BIOS had a Baseboard LAN config and a RMM4 Lan config, make sure you have set the RMM4 section. There was no setting in the web console for me either, just mount the ISO in the java viewer (device -> redirect ISO). In the BMC web console, does the system info page show RMM Status: Intel RMM installed?

There is also this in the manual. Doubtful, but perhaps blocking the port.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
ISO mounting on mine is working, I checked. Can you link to the listing you purchased? Do you have the dedicated management NIC in yours? FYI, I bought the one listed HERE which included the dedicated NIC.

The BIOS had a Baseboard LAN config and a RMM4 Lan config, make sure you have set the RMM4 section. There was no setting in the web console for me either, just mount the ISO in the java viewer (device -> redirect ISO). In the BMC web console, does the system info page show RMM Status: Intel RMM installed?

There is also this in the manual. Doubtful, but perhaps blocking the port.
Hi, thanks.
I bought this:

Intel R2312GL4GS Server System 2U Rack, Socket R, New Bulk Packaging

Don't have the system powered-on at the moment, but will do so tomorrow and check network - that should not be the problem.

Server has dedicated NIC, where we tried 'redirect iso' and also could connect to the web interface.
'Device -> redirect ISO' was prompted with something like 'not supported in this version' when i remember right.

Did you update BMC - Firmware / BIOS ?

Otherwise i had some trouble with java / OS X with KVM-Viewers before, so maybe it`s more a problem there. Don't have any physical Windows-PC here but some VM's in Parallels, just for the last resort. Will try these, too.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Yea that looks like the same exact listing as mine. It should work.

I did run the firmware update package (HERE) as just a few posts back I had a critical error in the web console that the update fixed. I didn't try ISO redirection before applying the update.

I used a Win10 machine with an outdated Java runtime.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Yea that looks like the same exact listing as mine. It should work.

I did run the firmware update package (HERE) as just a few posts back I had a critical error in the web console that the update fixed. I didn't try ISO redirection before applying the update.

I used a Win10 machine with an outdated Java runtime.
Ok, will update firmware and see how i can get it working. Java from Windows-VM usually works, at least on my supermicro boxes.

When everything fails there is still pxe or usb-cdrom to get an os on it. kvm and iso redirection is just so much simpler that it was naturally the first try.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Anyone want to share their CPU temps on the R2312GL4GS?, specifically though the BMC Web Console, Sensor Readings? It doesn't show "CPU Temp", it shows Thermal Margin. Not 100% on how to back calculate it but I assume subtract from the max operating temp (I think that is ~82C). Something like.

Idle
Code:
P1 Therm Margin    Normal    OK    -66 degrees C
P2 Therm Margin    Normal    OK    -67 degrees C
Load
Code:
P1 Therm Margin    Normal    OK    -30 degrees C
P2 Therm Margin    Normal    OK    -32 degrees C
From what I'm seeing it doesn't seem like the fan's ramp up much (if at all) under decent load.

Last edited:

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
The fans will ramp up when the P% Therm Margin falls below 20%... This is roughly ~80c core temp. Intel's approach is to balance the system noise with temps. There are various physical and virtual (aggregate) sensors all factoring into the BMC control of the cooling domains.

Stereodude had previously provided an excellent explanation of how he modified the SDR (sensor data records) to ramp the fans up sooner to maintain a larger P% Therm Margin. I myself haven't considered it necessary to do that.