Intel Xeon D-1500 wave 2 (Nov 2015 launch) 35w showing up!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
STH officially has its first Intel Xeon D-1500 wave 2 platform with the new processors released November 2015. Based on the 35w TDP Intel Xeon D-1518 I bring you: the Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN4F.

The CPU specs are very interesting:
Certainly exciting times here! As a teaser - here is the miniature sticker used to distinguish the model number thanks to how tightly packed the motherboard is:
Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN4F sticker.jpg

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Any chance you can run the idle power check again on the new boards ? Don't expect much difference but newer revision cpu and board may be good for a watt or 2.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Any chance you can run the idle power check again on the new boards ? Don't expect much difference but newer revision cpu and board may be good for a watt or 2.
Yes. That will be part of the review. Still, at idle it is usually the rest of the components that are now the source of power draw.

And @MiniKnight I would assume they need to get stocked in distribution but yes.

Reactions: Jeggs101

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I know what you mean, the remote management seems to be rather power hungry, wonder is the ast2500 series is much better than the currently used 2400 series that seems to use 6 or 7 watts.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I wonder why intel hasn't modified a version of their GMA for remote management to reduce power further? Also they could have printed that on a heatsink it would have looked better :p

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I wonder why intel hasn't modified a version of their GMA for remote management to reduce power further? Also they could have printed that on a heatsink it would have looked better :p
They have - its called vPRO/AMT. A better question is why they only offer it on higher-end I5/i7 chips, targeting desktop remote management. They have it - they just don't put it on their server chipsets.

C@mM!

Jan 18, 2016
Canberra
They have - its called vPRO/AMT. A better question is why they only offer it on higher-end I5/i7 chips, targeting desktop remote management. They have it - they just don't put it on their server chipsets.
It's mostly because Intel's AMT implementation is garbage. :/ Which is a shame, as it really shouldn't be too hard to do decent OoB.