Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
If only VMware would fully support this platform I'd be able to fully enjoy my X10SDV-TLN4F board. I'm sure it's coming down the pike but it's frustrating that such a great platform for virtualization isn't fully supported yet.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
VMware wants you to forget about hardware. So they are exceptionally slow supporting new hardware.

jasonlitka

Jun 24, 2015
If only VMware would fully support this platform I'd be able to fully enjoy my X10SDV-TLN4F board. I'm sure it's coming down the pike but it's frustrating that such a great platform for virtualization isn't fully supported yet.
What doesn't work? I was just about to order 3 of these for a small test lab.

jasonlitka

Jun 24, 2015
I spent most of today getting a development environment setup for vSphere 6 (this sucked, it feels like VMWare goes out of their way to make it hard, docs are misleading, comments are inaccurate, some build scripts don't work because they're missing config options when built on centos 5.3 as recommended by VMWare, etc.).

I was able to successfully recompile the default drivers and load them into vSphere so I know that part is working.

Unfortunately, I completely struck out compiling ixgbe 4.0.3 and 4.1.1. It seems like there are some substantial changes to the code between 3.x and 4.x and the compile is throwing so many errors from kcompat.h that I don't even know where to start. I may take a look again at some point over the next week, but I'd say that we're all going to be waiting for someone who is actually getting paid to do this to get the job done.

Last edited:
Reactions: gigatexal

CJ145

Mar 11, 2015
Has anyone seen solutions around the 1520 yet? The 1540 is completely overkill for my intended uses.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Has anyone seen solutions around the 1520 yet? The 1540 is completely overkill for my intended uses.
If you are looking in anything that resembles the retail channel, no. Some of the storage/ networking specific SKUs got pushed.