Intel S3500 800GB $129 lots available

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@Marsh i have to agree but sata to me still has a place...

NVMe : performance, hot, power consumption, limited slots / ports
SATA : Low power & cool running (mostly compared to NVMe anyway), nearly always ports available.
SAS : just because it’s used enterprise, and will be for a while, lots of applications where a hardware raid SAS makes sense over a NVMe with no raid or software only raid.

I am sure in the next 12 months we will see even more of a shift to NVMe, sata is certainly more or less dead now but still plenty of used SSD’s around.

My only issue is tending to buy more SSD than I really need... you know when good deals. The 1.6tb and bigger like others have pointed out and @Patrick was recently selling took much restraint not to buy !

Intel for some reason even in scalable chipsets added more SATA ports... no idea why I don’t really see anybody using them as even in storage boxes the 3.5” disks usually seem to get SAS.
I guess the dream of intel was big sata drives with NVMe or optane cache devices, but ore people go all flash now.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I still buy Enterprise SATA when it cost around 10cent per GB.

When I see ebay listing of enterprise SSD that costs below 10cent per GB, I turned into a sucker fish.

I would refreshed the browser many times per min, my brain would go into overdrive.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I still buy Enterprise SATA when it cost around 10cent per GB.

When I see ebay listing of enterprise SSD that costs below 10cent per GB, I turned into a sucker fish.

I would refreshed the browser many times per min, my brain would go into overdrive.
Okay, then this should blow your mind:
WD GOLD 12TB 7.2K SATA 6G 3.5IN HDD - WD121KRYZ-BSTK - Z - CDW Internal Use/Service Pts - CDW.com

As should the WD 8TB usb drives everyone is shucking.

But something tells me the math is off. 10cents is too much for me. For me, it's around 3 cents, and I'm typically finding 7200 sas drives for that much vs sata.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
This thread is about S3500 SSD, I just used short handed , implied 10cent per GB for Enterprise SSD.