Intel S2600WT 1U Dual LGA2011-3 Server w/ SAS, U.2 NVMe $99 + shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
What's a good use for a sff server? I've got a couple and don't know what to do with them. Both are 24 port. One, a 2u Quanta is loaded with 24 900GB drives. I'm using it for backup duty at present. It's a sweet box and fully loaded including SAS3, 10G network plus 2 1G and E5 26xxv3 /4 compatibility.. The other is a Supermicro SC216 also a 24 port. It's loaded with 24 450GB drives and is doing nothing but taking up space at present.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
anyone able to get ISO mounting over KVM / Java Jviewer to work properly?

I've gotten the actual KVM control to work fine, but whenever I try and mount an ISO via the Jviewer jnlp, it either freezes the KVM window or it sometimes mounts but with 2 Mb/s ISO read speeds. I'm on the latest 2020 BIOS / firmware and I've tried Java 7 and 8 both 32 bit and 64 bit and set Javacpl.exe exceptions for the server and with Xmx set to higher values and still have the issue. It seems I can stop the immediate KVM freezing if I randomly change the KVM - Remote CDROM TCP port between sessions via the Intel BMC web settings, but I still get unusably slow ISO read / upload speeds - I'm talking about a Ubuntu 20 ISO taking 10 minutes to boot to desktop (even skipping the automatic media verification on start).
Better question-what environment did you get the kvm working at all? I've been trying to get this working again and having issues with finding an old enough version of java to put on ubuntu...

soaringswine

Nov 29, 2020
Better question-what environment did you get the kvm working at all? I've been trying to get this working again and having issues with finding an old enough version of java to put on ubuntu...
Java 8 seems to work fine. I also trusted the AMI cert and added the BMC IP to Java's whitelisted sites.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
What's a good use for a sff server? I've got a couple and don't know what to do with them. Both are 24 port. One, a 2u Quanta is loaded with 24 900GB drives. I'm using it for backup duty at present. It's a sweet box and fully loaded including SAS3, 10G network plus 2 1G and E5 26xxv3 /4 compatibility.. The other is a Supermicro SC216 also a 24 port. It's loaded with 24 450GB drives and is doing nothing but taking up space at present.
An all SSD NAS? For a time I used a SC119 that way. The rack is in my home office, so I thought to have just one low power "always on" box to keep the noise and heat down. Not a lot of capacity, so it had just the frequently accessed and temporary stuff, but very quiet and low idle power compared to the boxes with a lot of spinners that I then turned on as needed.

I use a system in a SC219 for tinkering with software on bare metal. I think some stuff, like hypervisors, is easier to test/play with that way. I had a stack of 1TB 5400 RPM 2.5" drives left over from laptop/desktop upgrades for family and friends, so it was cheap to deploy. Since its not "production" the slow speed isn't a huge issue. When I switched back to TrueNAS for my main NAS, after 5 or so years away, I used it to make sure I knew what I was doing before I tried to use TrueNAS again out in the wild.

Last edited:

soaringswine

Nov 29, 2020
by the way, I stumbled on this https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/S2600WT_Config_Guide.pdf document which goes into detail on a lot of the connections and backplane and such on the board. I only found it _after_ I banged my head against the wall on why my SAS drives weren't being detected in the hotswap bays, only to realize that only the PCIe / NVMe connection and the onboard SATA controller connection were connected to the backplane instead of the SAS controller.. and funnily enough, 1) PCIe / NVMe 2) onboard SATA 3) SAS3008 add-in card ALL use the same SFF-8643 connector on this board. now to find a SFF-8643 cable that will work with the SAS card and the confined cable management in the chassis..

Reactions: EasyRhino

soaringswine

Nov 29, 2020
by the way, I stumbled on this https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/S2600WT_Config_Guide.pdf document which goes into detail on a lot of the connections and backplane and such on the board. I only found it _after_ I banged my head against the wall on why my SAS drives weren't being detected in the hotswap bays, only to realize that only the PCIe / NVMe connection and the onboard SATA controller connection were connected to the backplane instead of the SAS controller.. and funnily enough, 1) PCIe / NVMe 2) onboard SATA 3) SAS3008 add-in card ALL use the same SFF-8643 connector on this board. now to find a SFF-8643 cable that will work with the SAS card and the confined cable management in the chassis..

ha, well it turns out that same PDF actually tells me exactly which cable I should use I and I can buy the bundle of two cables from eBay for ~$30 + shipping: Intel AXXCBL650HDHD Mini-SAS Cable Kit New Bulk Packaging 735858284752 | eBay