Intel S2600WT 1U Dual LGA2011-3 Server w/ SAS, U.2 NVMe $99 + shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
From the pictures it looks like it has a dual QSFP (InfiniBand?) NIC, SAS3 controller, and NVMe U.2 drive support...

Good deal at $99 + shipping?

The listing was modified. It is now for the S2600G, which is a generation older.

Last edited:

doughnet

Dec 24, 2018
yeah seems like really good deal.

wish it wasn't 2.5" drives ... can't make too much storage on it.

Reactions: Samir

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I see the SFP connectors, what makes you think it's 40gb and not 10gb?

either way a pretty good deal.

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
I see the SFP connectors, what makes you think it's 40gb and not 10gb?
They really look like QSFP to me. After reading up on the EMC XtremIO platform, they are probably 40 gb InfiniBand links. Depending on the card, they might support ethernet.

I edited the title and the original post to reflect the ambiguity. Thanks!

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
They really look like QSFP to me. After reading up on the EMC XtremIO platform, they are probably 40 gb InfiniBand links. Depending on the card, they might support ethernet.

I edited the title and the original post to reflect the ambiguity. Thanks!
Supported LAN modules:
1647284554396.png
At least the older version of the qsfp card is a connectx-3.
I've been watching these units since I noticed them, but don't really need them and don't feel like the $$$ for DDR4 and V4 cpus.
Plan on buying a v3 "lights on" cpu as well to do firmware upgrades.

Reactions: semidetached

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Bought one, seems like a helluva deal unless it’s like obnoxiously loud or has some bizarre restrictions or proprietary parts.
You have stated the reasons why I'm not going to get in on this deal. :p

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
The listing was just completely changed w/ new pictures and a description of the older S2600G series server.

applepi

Jun 15, 2013
Called them, the listing changed since they ran out of stock of the S2600WT, I managed to grab 2 and called to confirm. I was worried I got SCAMAZED but seems above board.

Reactions: semidetached

mikesm

Mar 3, 2013
Has anyone tried a v4 processor in these to see if they work without a firmware upgrade? What is the BIOS firmware level as shipped? Mine just came but I'm now trying to figure out which CPU's to get.

thanks!
mike

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Based on my experience with other emc/Intel units, most likely need the firmware upgraded to current.
“Light it up” v3 chips are dirt cheap.

Reactions: Fritz

applepi

Jun 15, 2013
Has anyone tried a v4 processor in these to see if they work without a firmware upgrade? What is the BIOS firmware level as shipped? Mine just came but I'm now trying to figure out which CPU's to get.

thanks!
mike
I had to upgrade the bios twice on both of my nodes so it wasn't shipped with the latest.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Based on my experience with other emc/Intel units, most likely need the firmware upgraded to current.
“Light it up” v3 chips are dirt cheap.
Yea but some are brighter than others. I ordered a E5 1603 (I think). 130w TDP It's limited to one CPU configurations and extremely slow. Bought 2 of them for 5 bucks a piece. They weren't worth it.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Yea but some are brighter than others. I ordered a E5 1603 (I think). 130w TDP It's limited to one CPU configurations and extremely slow. Bought 2 of them for 5 bucks a piece. They weren't worth it.
Well, yeah.... A 2620 is probably about the lowest level that is usable; and those are nearly as cheap:
$9 shipped in the US.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Well, yeah.... A 2620 is probably about the lowest level that is usable; and those are nearly as cheap:
$9 shipped in the US.
Yea, the 2620 is very usable but they weren't this cheap when I bought the E5 1603's. I have a couple of servers running 2620's, performance is perfectly acceptable.

ItCrashICri

Dec 17, 2018

thanks!
mike
Just tested the two I got, they both booted V4 CPUs without updates for anyone wondering. BIOS was dated 2017.

I can also confirm the QSFP ports are labeled Infiniband and the onboard ports seem to be 10GbE from the motherboard serial number.

soaringswine

Nov 29, 2020
anyone able to get ISO mounting over KVM / Java Jviewer to work properly?

I've gotten the actual KVM control to work fine, but whenever I try and mount an ISO via the Jviewer jnlp, it either freezes the KVM window or it sometimes mounts but with 2 Mb/s ISO read speeds. I'm on the latest 2020 BIOS / firmware and I've tried Java 7 and 8 both 32 bit and 64 bit and set Javacpl.exe exceptions for the server and with Xmx set to higher values and still have the issue. It seems I can stop the immediate KVM freezing if I randomly change the KVM - Remote CDROM TCP port between sessions via the Intel BMC web settings, but I still get unusably slow ISO read / upload speeds - I'm talking about a Ubuntu 20 ISO taking 10 minutes to boot to desktop (even skipping the automatic media verification on start).