Intel Optane P1600X 118GB M.2 2280 - $59

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

geonap

Mar 2, 2021
ouch, this hurts so much.

when they dropped to like 77 or whatever on newegg a few months ago, i called a bunch of friends and bought a ton of these for attempted vsan cache's, they're still in my drawer.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
when they dropped to like 77 or whatever on newegg a few months ago, i called a bunch of friends and bought a ton of these for attempted vsan cache's, they're still in my drawer.
This is why when something is a great deal you have to think of the use case--because if it sits, generally the price drops lower than you bought it for. :(

Reactions: e97

OstJoker

Dec 3, 2016
Why this drives are so expensive? Because of Endurance only?
I have NVMe drive, I have SATA3 SSDs and barely notice difference between them.
What is the fastest SSDs in the market wright now in terms of responsiveness and real noticeable speeds to say "wow!"?
Any real benefits of making RAID0 array with a two SSDs for a home PC (web surfing, gaming, multimedia, few VMware VMs for work)?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Why this drives are so expensive? Because of Endurance only?
I have NVMe drive, I have SATA3 SSDs and barely notice difference between them.
What is the fastest SSDs in the market wright now in terms of responsiveness and real noticeable speeds to say "wow!"?
Any real benefits of making RAID0 array with a two SSDs for a home PC (web surfing, gaming, multimedia, few VMware VMs for work)?
These are optane ssds (not nand like other nvme, sas and sata ssds).
Optane is a type of storage that is pretty fast (throughput AND latency), with low queue depths and threads it is one of the fastest media that currently exists. (Only ram based ssds are faster).

I have another optane ssd (the 900p 480gb) where I have visual studio installed.
Opening a huge project takes like 5 seconds which feels slow. But watching other colleagues via teams opening the same project and waiting 15+ seconds makes you realize how fast optane actually is. For me the "speed" is noticeable.
For home pc (not a server!) bigger nand ssds are probably better (due to price/better bang for the buck)

Edit: for me the expensive price is worth the performance (for the 900p 480gb) :D

OstJoker

Dec 3, 2016
Only ram based ssds are faster
Are they still existing? Any links for a model? I remember old devices based on DDR1 RAM and after that... Nothing seems appeared in the market.

For home pc (not a server!) bigger nand ssds are probably better (due to price/better bang for the buck)
All that CPU cores, additional MHz, GHz, GB of HDD storage - all of that are evolution. SSDs made a real revolution in computers. I remember myself dreaming about completely silent computer when my first PC (Pentium 4 3.05 Ghz) tried to handle Quake 3 Arena game. I also hate HDDs clicks and motor noise.
I remember to pay 225 USD for OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX90G 90GB Internal SSD SATA back in 2010. Never regret about that even when 2 SSDs died during first year and I had to RMA them.... but this is different story. :)
I watched LTT channel and even Linus in his TOP builds with high-end hardware seems not care about something more than installing single (mass market) Samsung 980 PRO M.2 drive and that's it. No real benefits of doing RAID-0? No real benefits of buying server storage solutions? No better solutions exists?
I already have 8 TB of SATA SSD Storage, but I want a ultimately fast drive for a OS and other software (240-480 GB will be enough for my needs).
I really miss that "Wow effect" so the main question is what is best SSD (or other storage solution) exist in the market right now no matter what is the price\GB?

IMO these will continue to go lower.
Everything will continue to go lower. Till the moment of new "pandemic chip production shortage", "floods in Asia". "Chia cryptocurrency hype", etc.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
Intel got out of the business of these. That's why he says they'll go lower - they want to clear them out.
Exactly.

Plus the market doesn't generally know the difference between these and regular SSD's and they likely don't care. Plus the STH effect simply represents a market that would likely be massively over-saturated with these anyway. It sounds like they made a metric sh*t ton of these drives.

Had these been around back when I spec'ed out my server I would likely have just thrown these at it.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Are they still existing? Any links for a model? I remember old devices based on DDR1 RAM and after that... Nothing seems appeared in the market.
They do still exist, but not like the old "ram drives" where you put a dimm in add on cars.
The cards that I mean are also nvme ssds but use dram + power loss protection + "permanent" nand in case the power fails.
Models are rms-200/rm,rms-300 from radian memory and flashtec nvram from microchip. (These cards are used by san vedors as write caches for their big sans.)
No real benefits of buying server storage solutions?
guaranteed power loss protection, predictable performance with sustained io and more write endurance.
About linus tech tips. "First let me tell you about todays sponsor"... meh :D

• Haha
Reactions: Samir and itronin

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
as long as you don't mind power usage and have heat dissipation RMS-200/300 are great and I really like them as SLOG against enterprise SATA/SAS SSD/HDD in a non office environment. I personally have not been able to get my hands on anything other than RMS-200-8 though. I've gone back and forth between RMS and Optane 900P AIC on my two "home" NAS. Just deployed a server in production with mirrored P1600x for slog.

The P1600X stock will eventually run out. I think its a cost value proposition (or FOMO) as to which price you decide is good enough for you. Me. I'm keeping 3 on the shelf 'cause they are great drives, seem plentiful right now, single sided m.2 80, great performance, fantastic endurance - I lot to like about this drive.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Whats the latency/performance vs recent-ish enterprise M.2 like Micron 7450 or Samsung PM9A3 (though they are 110 in size)?

Micron 7450 https://media-www.micron.com/-/medi...df?la=en&rev=863c779bff94402d93c8fe3de637f81c

Samsung PM9A3 https://download.semiconductor.samsung.com/resources/white-paper/PM9A3_SSD_Whitepaper_230327_2.pdf

edit: found the P1600X datasheet: Intel® Optane™ SSD P1600X Product Brief

Looks like much more endurance on Optane 6 DWPD vs 1 DWPD on the Micron and Samsung.
Latency seems to be a bit better on Optane:

Optane P1600X avg 7μs read / 10μs write
Micron 7450 typ 80μs read / 15μs write
Samsung PM9A3 dont see an avg but the datasheet has benchmarks

Last edited: