EXPIRED Intel octane 900P $50 in bulk

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

applepi

Jun 15, 2013

Looks like the market is falling out from under the 900p I had bought 3 recently at $75 each and I thought that was a good deal…

It’s a real shame that there are so many of the AIC 280gb version but no excess supply of the u.2 version.

Last edited:

applepi

Jun 15, 2013
... Damnit.

If these were m.2 or u.2, I'd pick up 8 or even 10 of em
Sadly too much power to fit in a M.2, the U.2 drives hold around $160, I managed to low ball a U.2 for $95 and I've never seen that deal again lol. I'd really like to get 3 of them to have 2 in each of my test nodes for NVME-over-Fabric and RDMA testing. Instead I have the most random collection of U.2 drives.

Reactions: Samir

Beaflag VonRathburg

Dec 13, 2018
These are all being dumped from resellers who purchased the 12900k and this SSD combo on Amazon a while ago. It appears the deal was extremely popular and the prices on these SSD's just haven't found a floor yet as people continue to dump them. That's why they're specifically the AIC and not the U.2 drives.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
Sadly too much power to fit in a M.2, the U.2 drives hold around $160, I managed to low ball a U.2 for $95 and I've never seen that deal again lol. I'd really like to get 3 of them to have 2 in each of my test nodes for NVME-over-Fabric and RDMA testing. Instead I have the most random collection of U.2 drives.
IMO all PCI-E 3.x Optane drives will end up dumping into the toilet whether they're U.2, M.2 etc.

They probably won't be able to give the AIC cards away.

bvd

Jan 2, 2021
I am suprised they are already gone. Unless you have a very specific use case, these are just too expensive per GB. For ZFS slog/l2arc most enterprise grade NVMe devices will be plenty.
I use them primarily to host databases, initially for work, but eventually realized I had plenty of free space for my tiny home lab DBs as well - mostly postgres, though the work-related testing ive been doing has more recently had me testing converting all my pg DBs over to cockroach... See how "postgres compliant" it actually is, and if I'm lucky, perhaps I can just move all my postgres DBs over to it. We'll see, fingers crossed!

Its done a world of good when it came to application performance for nextcloud, forgejo/gitea, and several others. I dont really need tons of capacity for such things (I think my nextcloud DB is maaaybe 7-8GB? lolol), but the latency being as low as possible for what *is* actually used has been fantastic. Its at least as performant as most vendors cloud offerings at this point (well, the UI is... can't compete with their bandwidth hehe), which has made it easier for me to convince the wife (etc) to use it over things like google drive, icloud, and so on.

Other than that, i threw the boot volumes for a couple OS's to tinker with... along with a boot volume for a gaming VM, because why not I guess lol

I dont think its the $/GB that had them flying off the shelf, so much as the cost being low enough that those with any other niche low latency applications like those above also probably just figured "why not" - that'd be my guess at least. Its where my mind went anyway.

pchangover

Dec 12, 2016
MD
These are all being dumped from resellers who purchased the 12900k and this SSD combo on Amazon a while ago. It appears the deal was extremely popular and the prices on these SSD's just haven't found a floor yet as people continue to dump them. That's why they're specifically the AIC and not the U.2 drives.
Yea these are from that deal but you're missing the big thing from it. You could cancel the CPU and you got each drive for $0.01. Some people ordered dozens.

• Wow
Reactions: Samir and bvd

bvd

Jan 2, 2021
Yea these are from that deal but you're missing the big thing from it. You could cancel the CPU and you got each drive for $0.01. Some people ordered dozens.
I get that its on the company making the sale to catch and address that kind of thing, and I've been known to snag a 'too good to be true' deal here and there - the WD Gold 16TB's listed on their store a couple years back for ~$220 bucks for instance, picked one up, and was lucky enough that it actually shipped lol - but idk how I'd feel about this one personally... Seems kinda... Well, I just don't think I could let myself do it; not that I have any issues with folks who did (haven't thought enough about it, but I guess it proooobably is somewhat difficult to feel 'bad' for any company 'worth' $100B+).

That's friggin crazy though, I've never heard of anything like that!

unphased

Jun 9, 2022
are a pair of these optane devices (in a mirror) suitable for hosting the trifecta of ZFS SLOG, L2ARC, and special metadata device? And if so, how much spinning rust would 280GB be suitable for pairing with? My setup is 6x14TB that I will probably run in RAIDZ1 or RAIDZ2.

I was considering optane 1600x drives, as theyre in a convenient m.2 form factor for expansion, but I can certainly put up with the more inconvenient form factor of AICs if the value is there, which even with this deal gone, these things are still going for just 70 bucks.

Last edited:

smstewart_9554

Jan 23, 2021
People have discussed PLP before, but Intel Ark specifically says 900p does not have PLP whereas P1600X does. Wouldn’t this make P1600X better for ZFS? Full disclaimer, I claim to be nothing more than an idiot myself.

unphased

Jun 9, 2022
That's a good point! I was just reading about how 900p is a 4800X without PLP.

I'll run my workstation behind a UPS if that helps! Haha. PLP doesn't really outweigh the fact that I'd be getting 280GB of faster optane (despite not being in the preferable M.2 form factor) compared to 118GB of it. For around the same price it looks like!

Also isnt PLP only in play for SLOG? I did ask about that, yep!

I'm also forgetting... does absence of PLP introduce a risk of pool corruption, or only a risk of data loss for anything in-flight? The latter is completely acceptable. I read some more about this topic and optane is supposed to not have a problem with power loss. When the write is acknowledged it's already got to be in the nonvolatile storage... So it's possible intel's marketing here is just trying to tell us it's not as safe as the more expensive products because it prefers me to buy the more expensive products. Which I most certainly will not do.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Mine arrived today. Now I gotta decide what I'm going to use it for,

unphased

Jun 9, 2022
My understanding is that optane only really makes a big difference for ZFS SLOG in terms of performance. In terms of endurance, that's SLOG and L2ARC. In terms of performance, optane excels at lower queue depth small accesses. And excels with latency. That's about all I know for sure. My understanding is not very deep.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
I just bought a bunch of new P1600X 118GB for $40. Do I return them and wait for another of these deals to show up again?