Intel Haswell TSX Bug

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I saw the reports on Tech Report that Intel is disabling TSX. How big of an impact is this to performance? Is it like taking Haswell back to Ivy Bridge performance? How long until we get a fix?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
David was sitting next to me (and Scott next to him) at this briefing and I do remember him asking the question point blank. I also remember the confirmation that TSX is dead for now.

Just so folks know, this is going to impact not just the Intel Xeon E3-1200 V3 range, but also the upcoming Haswell based chips and Broadwell.

My sense is that this is not a simple fix and that we will see the capability come back with TSX2 (or whatever Intel ends up naming it.) That is pure speculation, but I would not hold hope for stable TSX on any Haswell based core at this point.

Reactions: eva2000

sean

Sep 26, 2013
CT
MiniKnight: It would only affect software using TSX. Not much uses it yet to my knowledge. That probably would have changed if it worked in the soon-to-ship Haswell-EP. Maybe, at least. I've read it works best on low-contention locks and not as well on locks with high contention. It sounds like a beta implementation of HTM, so some people may have held off regardless of bugs. Everything else new about Haswell, e.g. IPC and instruction improvements, still applies to performance.

anamika

Sep 2, 2014
Imagine trying to program for that thing? Holy crap batman! That'd take some serious planning!