Intel Core i7-1165G7 2.5GbE Box Running VMware ESXi and pfSense

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Thank you for walking through something that I have considered doing, but am not going to try myself. Therefore it's nice to see it vicariously!

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Hey Will.
First, thanks for the article. One question:
Your old's "router" cpu, Skylake quicksync, is missing HEVC 10bit decoding/encoding. Is this what you meant, then you said
"I also had an idea to run my Plex transcoder on my little ESXi host via iGPU passthrough, and the i5-6500 T's Quick Sync encoder is not particularly stellar. "

WillTaillac

Feb 28, 2020
Hey Will.
First, thanks for the article. One question:
Your old's "router" cpu, Skylake quicksync, is missing HEVC 10bit decoding/encoding. Is this what you meant, then you said
"I also had an idea to run my Plex transcoder on my little ESXi host via iGPU passthrough, and the i5-6500 T's Quick Sync encoder is not particularly stellar. "
Yes, as well as I was lead to understand that in addition to newer codec support the later generations of Quicksync had functional quality improvements as well.

Regardless, right now I'm at a standstill regarding iGPU passthrough. I can configure it on a Windows VM but run into driver errors within the Windows VM. When I configure it on a Ubuntu VM, the moment that VM boots up the entire ESXi host freezes. I'll keep tinkering with it, but that is more of a longterm goal. Right now my current main server handles Plex transcoding and it has a beefy 12-core CPU to do it with, I would just like to downsize on the power draw and part of that would involve using an accelerator for transcoding rather than just raw grunt.

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
Not sure if this would be helpful to you, but I'm running my plex on NUC PC with Pentium J5005 CPU. With quicksync hardware transcoding enabled, I tested it to handle four 1080p streams transcoded.
also, this seems like a decent guide:

WillTaillac

Feb 28, 2020
Not sure if this would be helpful to you, but I'm running my plex on NUC PC with Pentium J5005 CPU. With quicksync hardware transcoding enabled, I tested it to handle four 1080p streams transcoded.
also, this seems like a decent guide:
Yep. I've looked at the second one before. The problems I'm encountering seem specific to 11th gen (and up) systems. There is a bunch more stuff to try, but it'll have to wait for off-hours and when I can shut down my firewall and other VMs, since unscheduled ESX lockups are bad for them.

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
Yep. I've looked at the second one before. The problems I'm encountering seem specific to 11th gen (and up) systems. There is a bunch more stuff to try, but it'll have to wait for off-hours and when I can shut down my firewall and other VMs, since unscheduled ESX lockups are bad for them.
fair enough. The solution is simple (but not cheap :) - get a second host and setup HA :)

WillTaillac

Feb 28, 2020
fair enough. The solution is simple (but not cheap :) - get a second host and setup HA :)
Haha. In effect I currently have that, since I still have the old host. But if something did blow up, my easier path to restoration would be to just restore the pfSense VM from backup :p

WillTaillac

Feb 28, 2020
No luck thus far. I read some stuff that folks had better luck with Debian and the iGPU passthrough, and I at least made it through the install. But as soon as it booted up properly and (presumably) loaded the iGPU driver, the ESX host hard locked again. I may just put this aside and come back in 6 months and see if folks have figured it out yet or not.