Intel Avoton C2750 Benchmarks - Supermicro A1SAi-2750F

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by Patrick, Sep 19, 2013.

1. 33_viper_33

33_viper_33 Member

I'm not holding my breath with pfsense support considering it still doesn't support 802.11N (couple exceptions). If Linux support for the NICs is tricky, BSD is going to be impossible for awhile. Of course, the way around this is virtualization through ESXI.

2. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

What 8-core benchmarks do you want to see? There is already a thread on these.

3. cactus

cactus Moderator

I never even looked into WNIC support in pfsense. I have always just used an AP so some kind. I agree BSD native is going to take a while, but using pfsense on ESXi/KVM will be a find solution for what I had in mind for one of these.

4. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

5. zer0sum

zer0sum Active Member

I just heard back from Supermicro and they said it is NOT currently supported :(

6. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Updated with "official" Avoton power consumption results and a comparison to the Atom D525, S1260 and Pentium G2120 platforms.

7. vegaman

vegaman Member

Thanks. Nice to see the idle power consumption would be dropping from my X7SPA. Did you compare power consumption with 1/2 SODIMMs compared to all four?

Also looking forward to the 1.5v vs 1.35v piece. Might hold off buying the RAM for my new build till it's out.

8. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

I was thinking of doing:
    4x 8GB DDR3 1600 1.35v
    2x 8GB DDR3 1600 1.35v
    2x 4GB DDR3 1600 1.35v
    2x 2GB DDR3 1333 1.5v

Might show an interesting trend. Will see what the data says.

9. hapi

hapi New Member

How many IRQ occupies one ethernet? Supermicro does not block again multi IRQ on one ethernet port?

cat /proc/interrupts

thank you

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  10. Marco

Marco New Member

If the i354 controller comes with 8 RX and 8 TX queues you are going to see 8 rx msi and 8 tx msi (+ one) per port on the 8 core Avoton/Rangeley Atoms. But having 8 queues doesn't really mean that you can achieve that level of parallelism (you need concurrent traffic originating from many different computers/devices).

What do you mean?

11. sungila

sungila New Member

where to get nic drivers for centos? (newbie help needed)

Hi all,

Really enjoying the review and comments. I'm considering buying one of these and wanna try sticking centos on there. But where do i find the drivers for the nics? The supermicro site for the motherboard only has windows ...

I know there is mention of the intel chipset for the nics but i'm a little confused and was wondering if someone could hold my hand a bit and show me a bit more about getting the four on board nics working in centos. I'm assuming i'll build with a USB-based nic and go from there ...

thanks in advance!

sungila

12. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

The driver is the new igb driver so you can get this from Intel. I built with an Intel Gigabit CT desktop adapter to install drivers.

13. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Here you go:

14. sungila

sungila New Member

cheers! thanks ... i see that in the thread but wasn't connecting the dots - thanks for that!

15. fruitcake

fruitcake New Member

Been following these boards for a while now, think my hodge-podge home lab is gonna get an upgrade, so been checking for updates on these boards semi-regularly.

Noticed today that acmemicro.com are listing this board for US$375. Is that for real? I've never heard of them wondering if they have a rep for being dodge? Cause thats by far the cheapest I've seen anyone even hinting they might sell it at.

Supermicro MotherBoard A1SRi-2758F Intel® Atom™... | Acmemicro Online Store

16. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Sounds a little bit low from what I have heard. Would expect $400-$430. Also that is the Rangeley model.

17. cesmith9999

cesmith9999 Well-Known Member

18. hapi

hapi New Member

Mainboard X9SCi-LN4F has blocked more IRQ for ethernet. External card in this board is not blocked. Other mainboards from this series IRQ blocked the ethernet does not.

Each additional packet, ethernet sends on another IRQ so that parallel processing is always optimal. It does not have multiple simultaneous sources. I use it for RouterOS (Mikrotik) and it works great if the motherboard manufacturer does not disable IRQ to more ethernet port (X9SCi-LN4F).

19. hapi

hapi New Member

where are other ethernet? I watch only eth0.

20. Marco

Marco New Member

Supermicro isn't blocking anything. Interupts can be legacy or MSI(-X), either way there is nothing to block. I guess the ethernet controller runs in legacy mode, but consider that the 82574L controller has only 2 tx/rx queues, not a big deal.

It looks like you don't have a real understanding of how packet processing works inside the kernel (but also outside, when bypassing it, as you do with netmap, dpdk, etc.), so I'm not going to waste time here (too long, too difficult), but in almost every scenario it is not possible to go parallel without having many different sources (and RSS, flow director/steering, etc.). Interrupt handling is a different story.
    For this and other reasons I'm quite confident that low end low power e3 xeons will perform better than this Atom in many home/soho/appliace scenarios, benchmarks don't tell much about real world usage. Avoton seems to target very well the microcloud world but IMHO not so good the embedded-like world.

Maybe are admin down?