EXPIRED Intel 13700k CPU - $269.91 (or potentially $244.91) - Micro Center in-store only (potential price match to Best Buy)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
Since this CPU supports ECC with a w680 motherboard thought it might fit well here. In-store only, unfortunately, but lots of folks on Reddit report price matching with Best Buy.

You can use this link w/ non-VOIP phone number to get a $25 coupon off of CPUs: $25 OFF All AMD and Intel Processors | New Customer Exclusive | Micro Center

Last edited:

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Looks like the deal is already over, microcenter price back up to $360.

I was able to price match yesterday to Best Buy so that was fun. Will probably be using it for my desktop, not server.

Although what I really shoulda bought was the 12600k when it was on sale at newegg against Prime Day. Woulda saved me $100. but I guess I'll have to suffer through moar cores now.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
  • Haha
Reactions: efschu3 and Auggie

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
... That MB doesn't belong in STH forum where we are looking at 6 Pcie slots as the minimum requirement. LOL
Not all servers need to have pci slots, and this is STH where we build clusters using mini pcs :cool:

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
MB only have 3 Pcie slots :(. That MB doesn't belong in STH forum where we are looking at 6 Pcie slots as the minimum requirement. LOL

I am hoping there will be a sale of the cpu maybe below $400. Don't really want to get another LGA 1700 MB since it's a dead end MB at this point.
I don't think there are any LGA 1700 based boards that have that many PCIe slots.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
So I got my 13700k and I have been testing it out.

the motherboard (and MSI Creator Z690) came with no TDP limit as default, so when I ran prime95 the CPU consumed 300W(!) of electricity and immediately hit a 99C thermal cap, using a fairly beefy dual tower air cooler. However idle consumption for the CPU is like 10W and gaming in Starfield is maybe 50-80W.

ALSO, I am thinking of consolidating space and building a super-server at home. Which means I'm thinking of installing using this CPU with esxi. I've read that esxi doesn't like e-cores and p-cores mixing, but it should be doable with some esxi boot options. Although I might have to disable hyperthreading on the p-cores. If anyone has any has personal experience and wants to point me in the right directgion that would be cool.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
So I got my 13700k and I have been testing it out.

the motherboard (and MSI Creator Z690) came with no TDP limit as default, so when I ran prime95 the CPU consumed 300W(!) of electricity and immediately hit a 99C thermal cap, using a fairly beefy dual tower air cooler. However idle consumption for the CPU is like 10W and gaming in Starfield is maybe 50-80W.

ALSO, I am thinking of consolidating space and building a super-server at home. Which means I'm thinking of installing using this CPU with esxi. I've read that esxi doesn't like e-cores and p-cores mixing, but it should be doable with some esxi boot options. Although I might have to disable hyperthreading on the p-cores. If anyone has any has personal experience and wants to point me in the right directgion that would be cool.
honestly the whole "innovation thru MOAR POWAR" stuff is insane to me, but I am definitely not the target demographic.

I built a w680-based system and it's pretty good, but honestly Intel's lock-down of enterprise features is really frustrating. you can't bifurcate the x16 slot beyond x8x8, whereas with AMD they let you go wild with x4x4x4x4, ECC support on consumer boards, etc.

Reactions: custom90gt

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
just to update, my initial tests on getting esxi to work on the 13700k have been promising.

Most of the info comes from this guy's blog
Video of ESXi install workaround for Fatal CPU mismatch on feature for Intel 12th Gen CPUs and newer (williamlam.com)

I will upgrade from esxi 7.0 to 8.0, just because 8.0 natively supports the i225-v NIC that is on the motherboard.

I used the option to disable the 'uniformity check' at install which is hitting shift-o during boot and adding cpuUniformityHardCheckPanic=FALSE

Then once things are up and running get into SSH and enter esxcli system settings kernel set -s cpuUniformityHardCheckPanic -v FALSE . so that it persists.

this leaves me with 8 P cores and 8 E cores. Hyperthreading is disabled on the P cores and there doesn't seem to be a way around that.

Initial testing with a windows VM and a linux VM bore fruit. I was even able to set the CPU affinity so that one preferred the P cores and the other the E cores and then ran a stress test on both. esxi showed 200% cpu utilization so I guess the graph was a little funny.

the blog mentions a possible purpose screen of death and a MSRfaults option but I haven't bumped into that yet.

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
I've personally seen a few PSODs happen with 12th gen at one of the small offices I service.
If you want things to just work and be stable with ESXi, it really is best just to disable the e-cores in the bios.
Not a single PSOD since. Their workload isn't really all that big, so changes in performance wasn't even noticed.

It does suck that those E-Cores go to waste though.