if you missed the NewEgg sale, 2nd chance at 400GB SAS SSDs $250/$200 BO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
You have a wife that wants you to add capacity? Great!
I know right...SCORE/whatalady!!! I just get glares when new boxes 'magically arrive' (AKA me adding capacity)

The Mrs. is abt to have to pony up and approve six 4TB's soon, one of my zpools that houses HER data is JUST abt TOAST and she just keeps liberally dumping/unloading 16 and 32 GB dslr cam pics like a madwoman to the NAS. NOT my fault, I got a good justification right?

Uggh

hus1tb01 2.72T 2.61T 110G - 96% 1.00x ONLINE -

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
I know, right??

I'm actually incredibly blessed, and she and I are remarkably in tune re: most all priorities.

In this case, it's surveillance HDs for at home, given that I never put a lot of priority on that drive (note: singular- WD purple 4Tb), and the question came up the other day, "umm, everything else is redundant, various levels of Raid as appropriate, why in the /bold BLEEP /bold is the camera drive 'running solo'?.."

Given that a colleague/peer at work just had a very nasty break-in, I understand her concern, but by the same token... Hey, that's basically a hall pass to shop!!

Oddly enough, I got a great deal on an M5210 IBM 12g/s controller, 150$, including cache and BBu (size of cache unspecified- don't think seller knew what he had until too late-- waiting anxiously on the mailman to deliver... Really I want to know what cache size it is, LOL! Since it has a supercap BBU, I know that it's at least the 1GB (can also be 2, 4), but even better, because it has IBM/Lenovo FW, it should see/ be able to actively control my Lenovo SA120, instead of it just acting like it's a HBA. (Anyone having trouble with an SA120- lesson learned-- nothing but a Lenovo branded card seems to be able to run the fan speed control software!)

We're having a running conversation now re: whether I should move to 2 or 3 drives, and meanwhile, I'm seriously considering layout out available equipment and asking for advice on best storage arrangement on the non-camera drives.

Here's to shared hobbies, a loving and understanding wife, and lastly, a shopping hall pass! :))

Ya'll have a great weekend!

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
Oh- and @whitey, I totally feel your pain-- HER array in this case is constantly being filled by a 5DMk3, likely same as by your wife!! :)

Reactions: whitey

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Oh- and @whitey, I totally feel your pain-- HER array in this case is constantly being filled by a 5DMk3, likely same as by your wife!! :)
They are PURE EVIL like that (j/k, a lot of fam memories but a TON of client data as well). She's got some spring cleaning to do for sure that MAY limp us by another month or two. :-(