IBM 46M0997 Expander - Problems

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by TrevInCarlton, Sep 19, 2018.

1. TrevInCarlton

TrevInCarlton New Member

I brought 2 of these off ebay from the same company. One of the expanders works without any problems but if I swap out the first one with the second one it does not work. I tried the board with just power, a green and an orange LED light up then the orange one goes out leaving just the green lit. By contrast the one that works clearly goes through a full POST with much LED activity. Being convinced that this board was faulty I obtained another through another supplier and this too only powers up with the green and orange LED's ,the same as the other "faulty?" board. I have read online that some of these boards are locked to IBM servers. Any help in getting to the bottom of this would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to buy another as I am not convinced I have 2 out of 3 faulty boards.

2. Stefan75

Stefan75 Member

3. TrevInCarlton

TrevInCarlton New Member

Hi, thanks for the input. Already read the thread you sent me which also talks about firmware updates but despite all my efforts I can't find any firmware online. Also the only way to do the firmware update is through the expander being connected to the HBA and at this moment my IBM LSI ServeRAID-M1015 46M0861 SAS9220-8I and LSI9207 can't even see the expander. Have checked the cards in great detail and physically they are all identical

4. Stefan75

Stefan75 Member

The M1015 would be perfect... here's the windows flasher: IBM Support

5. TrevInCarlton

TrevInCarlton New Member

Don't have any problem with the M1015 and have already found and tested flashing the M1015 to IT mode. The problem is with the Expander, no issues with my 2 HBAs

6. Stefan75

Stefan75 Member

Sorry, I meant that the M1015 would be perfect for flashing, it being IBM.
    When I flashed using my plain LSI 9201-16e I got all sorts of warnings and errors, etc.
    But in the end I could see firmware 634a in MegaRAID Storage Manager.

7. TrevInCarlton

TrevInCarlton New Member

The problem remains, if the M1015 can't see the expander would it still be possible to update the firmware over DOS. If so what packages would I need and more to the point where would I get the firmware from ?