I may get a few Atom Rangeley or Denverton appliances. I believe these devices may be good for Docker, but how do you install them baremetal?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
I may get 2 unused devices (previous firewalls) using Rangeley or Denverton. I am thinking how do I use these devices baremetal? My only expierience using Docker is running it off Unraid, and it's been pretty easy. Is there a way to get Docker running in these low powered devices? Preferably without installing a full blown OS. Since my only exposure is through Unraid, and everything's in web interface, I'd like to have the same convenience if possible.

Marjan

Nov 6, 2016
You need full blown OS. Try with Ubuntu, install docker. There is no web ui by default. For this you can install docker container called portainer. It has web ui and everything you need to configure and run other docker containers.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Thanks Marjan. I thought there are other alternatives. What is Rancher OS or Kubernetes?

Marjan

Nov 6, 2016
Kubernetes is orchestration for docker containers and Rancher OS is stripped down, sorr of specialized version of Linux for orchestration of containers.
Either way I recommend that you start with some Linux distribution and docker. This is basic to learn.
All this being said, I never tried kubernetes or Rancher. It's an overkill for my use case at home and I not this for work so I never tried them.

Cheers

Reactions: Patrick

mrossco

Sep 20, 2021
I echo the recommendation. You should be able to find guides on how to install Ubuntu on those devices. Its a good Debian-based Linux distribution with solid community support. Good OS to learn on.

From there, Docker should be straightforward. Just follow the instructions on their website.

Lastly, Portainer is a good UI resource, but it is a bit behind what you can do on the command line. I would recommend picking up The Docker Book. Great tutorials that will help you get started quickly. The Docker cli is fairly straightforward.

Bbolt

Dec 19, 2021
I have been using DietPi for lightweight linux installs on low power boxes. Debian distro focused on Raspberry Pi, but they have a generic x86-64 version. Menu driven config and software installation. Docker and Portainer among long list of available packages. Lightweight justice for your SBC!