Hyper-V and CPU Power Management

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey All,

I have a dual E3-2670 v1 machine at home on a SuperMicro X9DRD-if. It is a file server, video transcoder, and also hosts the VM I do most of my work on (I work at home). It's running Windows Server 2012 R2.

The VM is currently configured to use 16 virtual CPUs and I recently noticed that high CPU usage in the VM does *NOT* kick up the CPU speed on the host. I verified that with the "balanced" power plan, in CPU-Z the CPU clock speed stays at ~1100-1200mhz and the multiplier stays fixed at 12, even with the VM using 100% CPU. If I change the host's power plan to "High Performance," the CPU will stay pegged at ~2900mhz, even when the VM and host are idle.

I verified that outside of the VM, on the host, if I run Prime95 the CPU clock speed does go up.

This is a home machine so I don't want to run the CPU at 100% (even slightly turboed, since base clock is 2.6ghz?) all the time, but I don't want my VM to run at 1.1ghz under full CPU load either. What the heck is going on? Why isn't "balanced" working as one would expect?

Here are the "CPU Power Management" settings in the BIOS, all default:

The CPU and motherboard both support EIST. If I change "Energy Efficient" to "Custom" in the BIOS, these options are available to me:

Reactions: Chuntzu