HSF for dual socket LGA 2011

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

uOpt

Dec 12, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Bit of a puzzle here. I am using my otherwise well-loved Cooler Master Hyper 212.

On my dual LGA 2011 board the following problem appears:
- it has a fixed metal brace
- CM gives you a couple of "extension screws" to adapt the smaller thread of their HSF holder to the bigger one in the board brace
- however, the surface the "extension screw" is too high and the brace doesn't press down on the HSF when screwed all the way down

I have different generations of Hyper 212s here and all have the same problem, even the newer ones which are a bit thicker and have a different brace curve and are specifically labeled as "LGA2011 compatible".

The brace also doesn't quite fit when it comes to the distance of the screw holes regardless of which angle you use.

Is this a known problem? What are desktop LGA2011s like?

How do I hack it up? Bit of plywood? Different HSF?

Photos needed?

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Is the board narrow or square ILM? 2011 has two profiles, one which almost zero consumer brand coolers support, though some of the better vendors make specific models for them.

uOpt

Dec 12, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
The screw holes are rectangular with one side being narrower than 1366.

I think I'm gonna jerk in a couple pencils and be done with it.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
I'm still not clear on this: do they have two different setups for the screw layout, one square and one rectangular? Or just the rectangular one that isn't square?

So this sucker wouldn't work, right? Square only.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
That will not work on a narrow ILM board

For 2011 there are 2 different layouts. Narrow ILM and Square ILM. Most single socket boards are square ILM, for dual sockets you are stuffing 8 more ram slots and another cpu socket so a lot of those use the narrow ILM to save a bit of space. Take a look at: http://www.servethehome.com/narrow-ilm-square-ilm-lga2011-heatsink-differences/

EDIT: you also need to make sure your HSF will fit height wise in your case.

Nathan_P

Apr 23, 2013
Hyper 212's work just fine on square ILM 2011 sockets, I have a pair running on one of my folding rigs. For narrow ILM, which it sounds like you have, you are out of luck - you will need a pair of heatsinks from either supermicro or intel.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Assuming you don't mind spending some coin and your enclosure is big enough, the Noctua NH-U12DX i4, NH-D9DX i4 3U and NH-U9DX i4 all come with narrow ILM mounts.

uOpt

Dec 12, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
I think I'll go with the big Supermicros. All cases are big enough here.

It comes with separate brackets for narrow and wide 2011, and I hope that I can use the then leftover brackets to reuse two high-value HSFs that I cannot find the Intel brackets for. Can't say I'm pleased about the additional expense but what you gonna do.

I love most Cooler Master products but there is always a little bit of a catch somewhere.