HPE ProLiant ML110 Gen10 Review A Just Right Tower Server Option

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Another new low power "server" that's not any better than v2 hardware.... it's not much faster than e5-2650 v2.... only got 16GB ram.... can't serve much now can it?

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
That is with 16GB on 1 stick of ram...

need to add $1500 (5* 16 GB) for memory to get to max memory performance. not so cheap any more...

Chris

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
The not-so-smarts just read the articles.... The true hard core STH will check out the forum and see that they can get a much better server for much cheaper price....lol... Kinda depressing actually that v2 systems are still so competitive after 4-5 years.... That's like eons ago.... I mean i do understand how we got a lot more cores and ipc etc but the bottom line is the underlying economics which shows that v2 systems are still hot...... it's good that amd has helped to move things recently but it's still a lot that's needed to be done...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
A bit of perspective from outside the formal review:
  • These HPE Smart Buy servers are fairly well-known for being upgraded with aftermarket components. For example, we did not use HPE Smart Memory for the 6x16GB configuration.
  • I got ours, shipped, for under $970. A 16GB DDR4-2666 stick and Intel Xeon Silver 4108 combined sell for around $600.
  • It is quieter than most of the SM/ Xeon D micro servers I have at home, even under load.
  • If you compare it to an Intel Xeon D-1541 board, like the X10SDV-F:
    • Price is similar
    • Xeon D mITX is smaller for smaller systems
    • ML110 Gen10 power consumption is a bit more, but well below E5 V2
    • More room for RAM upgrades
    • More room for PCIe upgrades
    • More SATA III available
    • The ML110 Gen10 is sub-27dba in the vast majority of uses. It took AVX-512 to get it close to 30dba.
  • If you are looking at Intel Xeon Scalable, and did not want the Silver 4108, you can sell that and effectively get the system for < $400, or less than the cost of many scalable motherboards
  • I appreciate the needs 6x DIMMs. On the other hand, there are a ton of systems out there with one, two, and four DIMMs installed. This is very common.
  • If you want to go 1-6 DIMMs, this platform makes sense. If you want to go 7+ DIMMs, there are a lot of other options out there.
As an aside, after the first one came in, I actually bought another. I did so having a fairly good selection of hardware and perspective on what is out there and what is coming up soon.

I know some of the smaller blogs are pumping Xeon D still for home virtualization. If you can spare the space, the $970 server is less expensive and better than the D-1541. You can get older technology, but I know I have some places these days where I just want something new with a warranty. I also got a ~$300 rebate over the $970 buying through the channel on a special offer so my actual net on these systems is closer to $670. The Intel Xeon E-2100 systems are faster, but I like the PCIe lanes and memory channels.

Reactions: gigatexal

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
well, that's if you compared to "contemporary" hardware... but if you widen it to include AMD or even v2 parts, then not quite sure if this is really the best deal anymore....16gb ddr4 and silver 4108 for $600 is not cheap... 16GB ddr3 and e5-2650 v2 is barely $110-120

But i am guessing all that extra money is just to pay for the warranty?

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
A bit of perspective from outside the formal review:
  • These HPE Smart Buy servers are fairly well-known for being upgraded with aftermarket components. For example, we did not use HPE Smart Memory for the 6x16GB configuration.
  • I got ours, shipped, for under $970. A 16GB DDR4-2666 stick and Intel Xeon Silver 4108 combined sell for around $600.
  • It is quieter than most of the SM/ Xeon D micro servers I have at home, even under load.
  • If you compare it to an Intel Xeon D-1541 board, like the X10SDV-F:
    • Price is similar
    • Xeon D mITX is smaller for smaller systems
    • ML110 Gen10 power consumption is a bit more, but well below E5 V2
    • More room for RAM upgrades
    • More room for PCIe upgrades
    • More SATA III available
    • The ML110 Gen10 is sub-27dba in the vast majority of uses. It took AVX-512 to get it close to 30dba.
  • If you are looking at Intel Xeon Scalable, and did not want the Silver 4108, you can sell that and effectively get the system for < $400, or less than the cost of many scalable motherboards
  • I appreciate the needs 6x DIMMs. On the other hand, there are a ton of systems out there with one, two, and four DIMMs installed. This is very common.
  • If you want to go 1-6 DIMMs, this platform makes sense. If you want to go 7+ DIMMs, there are a lot of other options out there.
As an aside, after the first one came in, I actually bought another. I did so having a fairly good selection of hardware and perspective on what is out there and what is coming up soon.

I know some of the smaller blogs are pumping Xeon D still for home virtualization. If you can spare the space, the $970 server is less expensive and better than the D-1541. You can get older technology, but I know I have some places these days where I just want something new with a warranty. I also got a ~$300 rebate over the $970 buying through the channel on a special offer so my actual net on these systems is closer to $670. The Intel Xeon E-2100 systems are faster, but I like the PCIe lanes and memory channels.
This is the part that was missing from the article. This makes it a tempting option.

Chris

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
This is the part that was missing from the article. This makes it a tempting option.

Chris
still don't see how's it's that much better than say a lenovo S30.....lol... granted there are a lot of lenovo s30 with very inflated price on fleabay..... but you can get very reasonable s30 v2 a lot of times for well less than $300... i got a few as low as $140 or less and as i said, a 2670 v2 will run you about $130 plus 64gb ddr3 will cost around $110.. so for $500 or less you get a much better spec system than this thing at close to $1000