HP XW6200 Rail Kit

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sapper6fd

May 21, 2013
Hey everyone.

Does anyone know what sliding rail kit is used to turn the XW8600 tower into a rack mount? The HP documentation has information on how to do it, but not the part numbers required.

Edit - Sorry, I originally posted XW6200. Its not, its an XW8600.

Cheers,

Sapper6fd

Last edited:

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
Hey @sapper6fd

That system in particular is somewhat ancient now, but you can still find some old components for them on eBay or other sites.

I have a massive amount of old HP PDF documents and found some part-numbers you could search for:

- 364299-B21 (manufacturer part-number)

- DY664A (spares part number)

You can still find some of these out there, but the prices I saw were ridiculous (I personally think it's worth about $25 tops). I would recommend that you simply buy a rack shelf to hold the workstation to save some money. If you absolutely need it to be able to slide out (as if it were on rails), you could buy a rack shelf that slides out.

For the sake of safety, if you do buy an official HP rack mount kit, be sure to check the documentation (linked below) to avoid hurting yourself or your computer (those things were a pain to mount...).
http://h50146.www5.hp.com/lib/doc/manual/workstation/c01288047.pdf

Hope this helps some.

sapper6fd

May 21, 2013
Hey @sapper6fd

That system in particular is somewhat ancient now, but you can still find some old components for them on eBay or other sites.

I have a massive amount of old HP PDF documents and found some part-numbers you could search for:

- 364299-B21 (manufacturer part-number)

- DY664A (spares part number)

You can still find some of these out there, but the prices I saw were ridiculous (I personally think it's worth about $25 tops). I would recommend that you simply buy a rack shelf to hold the workstation to save some money. If you absolutely need it to be able to slide out (as if it were on rails), you could buy a rack shelf that slides out.

For the sake of safety, if you do buy an official HP rack mount kit, be sure to check the documentation (linked below) to avoid hurting yourself or your computer (those things were a pain to mount...).
http://h50146.www5.hp.com/lib/doc/manual/workstation/c01288047.pdf

Hope this helps some.
Thanks John.

I just looked those part numbers up on Ebay and wow...... It would be cheaper to buy a more modern server..... $394 for the rail kit. That's absurd.

The server is run as a NAS server with FreeNAS. Draws a little more power than I'd like but it does the job.

I guess I'll start looking at a few other options!

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
I've got an HP DL320e Gen8 v2 server that uses a fraction of the power of that puppy. If you want to buy 1 of them, I could sell it for $260.

It's got space for 2 LFF HDDs (3.5") and I can put 16GB of RAM in it. It also has one X16 PCIE slot and one X8 PCIE slot.

Regardless of my little sales pitch (shame on me), that system is pretty painfully out of date now. If you want some help finding a cheap but reliable system just let me know. HP products are my specialty, but I'm also an avid PC/Workstation builder so I know all sorts of way to save on costs if you wanted to build a new system from scratch.

sapper6fd

May 21, 2013
I'd need a much larger chasis.... I've got 8 drives running on the xw8600, 2/3 full at this point. I did some custom case hacking to get it all in, placing a Silverstone CFP52B 4 drive bay in the optical drive bay Thanks for the offer though!

Attachments

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
If you were ready for a total upgrade, I've seen HP Z800 workstations on eBay be sold extremely cheaply.

They're essentially the much-improved version of your current system. They use DDR3 (ECC buffered or unbuffered) and socket 1366 processors. The processors themselves are so cheap now it's crazy, and you can pickup cheap DDR3 DIMMs just about anywhere (like my 4GB sticks for $4 each ;), Shame on me again).

If you took that route, you'd get something like support for 8-12 drives, it supports SAS drives as well, and also more cores and memory capacity. That and your case will look beautiful (brushed aluminum, designed by BMW if I remember correctly).

I'd estimate a total cost of about $400-500, but it's possible to get all of that even cheaper. (I bought a barebones system for $275 last year, put in some old E5620's and some 4GB sticks of ram, and I was set)

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
I should also mention that if this is only a NAS, then you could easily buy a cheap motherboard from someone here on STH and add a cheap controller for extra ports. (if you have a case and/or powersupply, I'd estimate a total of $150-$175)

If you took that route, I could offer you some dirt cheap DDR3 RAM and possibly a cheapy Xeon processor (if you got a mobo with socket 1356 or 1366). This route would be more of a price conscious path, but likely wouldn't be too much help if you were also using it as more than just a NAS.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States

sapper6fd

May 21, 2013
Check this deal out --> HP Z800 Workstation 2x Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5620 2.40 GHz 12GB FX3800 No HDD

That's a $200 full system, and you could just put your HDDs into it. Pretty big upgrade from the XW series :)

And here's my favorite that I found --> HP Z800 Workstation 2x Xeon Quad Core X5550 2.66GHz 12GB RAM NO HDD NO OS | eBay

That second link is for a Z800 with (x2) X5550's. It also has free shipping. Total price shows $330.

Best of luck!!!
I'm thinking I may go with a Supermicro build - 12 or 16 bay chassis. I've found some decent deals just need to ensure it has a decent backplane that can handle drives over 2TB. I've got 3 IBM M1115 controllers flashed into IT mode that I can use as well if needed that are sitting in a drawer.

Reactions: John Titor

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
That sounds like a safe bet to me! Especially since you aren't using it as something like a regular home-computer.

I bet if you put a post out on the sales thread here, you could probably get a lot of offers of good equipment. Also the members can answer all of your questions about the items.