HP t740 Thin Client as an HP Microserver Gen7 Upgrade (finally!)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I met a fan issue on T740 with the most up-to-date proxmox ve(v7.3?).
When it is up and I closed all the VMs and LXCs, its cpu fan is still running very fast and noisy. But I am not able to read the fan speed via "sensors" command of lm-sensors package.

Reactions: Samir

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
What version of BIOS are you on? Get it with 'dmidecode -t bios'
Lm_sensors won't show fan speed on this.
Thanks for the dmidecode command!

I remembered I updated its bios after I got it 2-3 months ago.

The bios version as below. The "thermal" is set as 2 (maximum 5).

Code:
BIOS Information                                                                                                              
        Vendor: AMI                                                                                                           
        Version: M42 v01.14                                                                                                   
        Release Date: 06/24/2022

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
You have newer BIOS than mine which is on 01.12 and i don't have the "fan issue" anymore. I think that was fixed in 01.10.
Could it be your thermal settings causing it? Does the issue persist even after a reboot?

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Trying to decide between this and the Lenovo M920q Tiny as my next pfSense box. While this has the advantage of taking standard low profile PCIe cards (and the Lenovo would require me to chase down 3D printed faceplates), I've been using Intel vPro with Mesh Commander to do remote administration of my TMM servers.

Does anyone have experience with whether AMD+Realtek DASH offers similar capabilities?