HP t740 Thin Client as an HP Microserver Gen7 Upgrade (finally!)

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Another thought I’ve had on a smallish pfSense would to go the boutique chassis route, such as a Velka 3. A standard ITX board would be supported then, along with a socketed CPU. With a flexible PCIe riser two different PCIe adapters can be used at x8 each. Cooling would be great since it would support 80mm/120mm fans which can be undervolted. Would vastly be more expensive than repurposing a thin client though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

greatsquare

Apr 11, 2022
What did you have to do to get SR-IOV working? I followed the steps here: [TUTORIAL] - Enabling SR-IOV for Intel NIC (X550-T2) on Proxmox 6. I'm using a Cisco branded i350 on the latest Proxmox.

Everything looks ok but when I run the 'echo 7 > /sys/class/net/enp1s0f1/device/sriov_numvfs' command I get a -bash: echo: write error: input/output error. A search on that error suggests something's not enabled in the BIOS. The BIOS options on this thing are vary limited though. I have virtualization enabled fwiw. Basic PCI passthrough does work, so it's not a complete deal-breaker. I hope it's not an issue with the card firmware... From what I can tell SR-IOV should be enabled.

Reactions: Samir

servernerd

Jul 4, 2022
Oh, that’s a bummer, but thanks for confirming. Then is there anyway to make use of that gpu in a virtualization setting? Thinking out loud, something like a lxc container in proxmox which somehow has the gpu mapped?

Gitsum

Jul 27, 2022
Just got one of these off E-Bay and has a bios password. Anyone know how to remove or reset it?
I found a video for the t630 but the steps don't work on this t740